Coriander chutney (also referred to as Dhania chutney) is a staple in Indian delicacies. Gluten-free and vegan, this fast and straightforward cilantro chutney pairs completely as a dipping sauce with Indian Snacks or any snack like veg sandwiches, fritters, patties, burgers, fries.
Why This Recipe Works
This straightforward and scrumptious cilantro chutney recipe may simply change into a staple meals in your house! The proper sauce to have available for toasts, breads, or finger meals, I like to serve this coriander chutney every time I’m searching for a fast snack or appetizer.
You do not want coconut, peanuts, yogurt or any troublesome to get components to make this recipe. You don’t even want mint leaves.
Roasted floor cumin is added to the chutney. However for those who don’t have floor cumin or roasted cumin powder, fear not. Merely omit it or for those who do have cumin seeds, roast them in a skillet till aromatic after which powder them in a spice-grinder.
By the best way, for those who don’t have time to make Coconut chutney for Idli, Dosa or Medu Vada, then you may make this coriander chutney as an alternative! It goes effectively with many South Indian snacks, and it’s nice to go on a sandwich or as a dip for dosa or for idli, as effectively.
Coriander chutney can also be referred to as as Dhania chutney in Hindi the place the phrase “dhania” means coriander and “hara dhania” particularly means coriander leaves.
Prepping Coriander Leaves
Whereas prepping coriander, do embody the tender stems with the leaves as they’re loaded with tons of taste. If the stems are powerful or woody, discard them.
Soak the leaves with the tender stems totally in bowl of fresh water with some vinegar and a bit baking soda for two to three minutes to do away with pesticide residue. Rinse them once more in contemporary water just a few occasions. Drain all of the water.
Two Methods to Retailer Cilantro
- For simpler work, I soak the leaves in water blended with vinegar, baking soda and later rinse them once more. I let all of the water get drained after which place them on a big rack (positioned beneath a tray for any additional water to drip by way of) and allow them to dry naturally for just a few hours. Use a salad spinner when you’ve got one.
After they look contemporary however not wilted, I retailer them between paper towels in a field within the crisper drawer of my fridge. These keep good for a few week.
- A straightforward methodology which I used to earlier implement was to retailer the coriander leaves in a glass or bottle (with a broad rim) stuffed with some water. Trim and take away the roots earlier than you place these leaves within the glass.
The stems and leaves must be exterior the glass. The bottom a part of the stem must be in water. Collect the leaves and canopy with a plastic bag or a ziplock bag. Seal loosely with a rubber band on the rim. Preserve within the fridge. Cilantro shops this manner stays good for every week.
Easy methods to Make Coriander Chutney
Chop and Add Components to a Blender
1. First, in a blender or chutney grinder, mix 1 cup of chopped contemporary coriander leaves (50 grams) ,1 teaspoon chopped ginger and a couple of teaspoons chopped inexperienced chili.
2. Subsequent add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, ½ teaspoon of roasted cumin powder or floor cumin, 2 to three pinches of black salt (non-compulsory) and desk salt or pink salt or sea salt as wanted.
Mix Coriander Chutney
three. Then, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water, mix or grind all of the components till clean. Examine the seasoning and add extra salt or lemon juice as wanted.
Serve and Get pleasure from
four. Lastly, serve your scrumptious coriander chutney with snacks like sandwiches, patties, fritter, or Indian snacks like Bhel Puri, Ragda Patties, Sev Puri, Samosa, Kachori, Dhokla, Dabeli and Aloo Tikki Burger.
For a Veg Sandwich or grilled Cheese Sandwich you’ll be able to unfold it on the bread in addition to take pleasure in as a dipping sauce. I additionally add it as a topping or unfold on the assorted veggies wraps I make.
Storage and Leftovers
Whether or not you’ve leftovers from a snack or made a batch of coriander chutney for later, you’ll be capable to take pleasure in this sauce for days to come back. Retailer your coriander chutney leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for three to four days.
- Serve with chaat snacks: Coriander chutney can also be used to high numerous Chaat Snacks, which have a candy, tangy, spicy style with numerous textures within the meals. A private favourite, chaat snacks are a fully wonderful class of Indian snacks, like Pani Puri and Chana Chaat.
- Watch the consistency: It’s necessary that the coriander chutney flavors are preserved. Watch out to not skinny out your chutney an excessive amount of, because the flavors will get diluted. If it’s worthwhile to thicken your cilantro chutney, add some almond meal or almond flour or floor roasted peanut powder.
- Personalize the flavour: This dhania chutney recipe could be very straightforward to customise. Improve the spiciness by including extra inexperienced chilies, or add a little bit of freshness through the use of half of mint and cilantro. You can even attempt substituting dry mango powder with lemon juice for a faint sourness. There are such a lot of taste mixtures to attempt!
- Scaling: You possibly can simply scale the recipe and make an enormous batch of dhania chutney for events or get-togethers.
Coriander chutney is nice to make forward or meal prep. If you would like your chutney to last more than every week, it may be frozen for as much as a month. Strive freezing your chutney in small batches utilizing an ice tray to make for simple parts.
Sure – you’ll be able to add a bit of honey or or sugar so as to add a little bit of sweetness or tone down the extent of bitterness in your chutney.
If you happen to made this recipe, please make sure you fee it within the recipe card beneath. Signal Up for my e mail e-newsletter or you’ll be able to observe me on Instagram, Fb, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for extra vegetarian inspirations.
By Dassana Amit
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook dinner Time zero minutes
Complete Time 10 minutes
Servings 1 small bowl
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
In a blender or chutney grinder, add the chopped coriander leaves, chopped ginger and inexperienced chillies.
Add lemon juice, cumin powder, black salt and pink salt, desk salt or sea salt as required.
Add water and mix or grind all of the components till clean. Style the chutney and add extra salt or lemon juice if wanted.
Retailer the cilantro chutney in a coated bowl or container within the fridge.
Use the chutney every time required. It goes effectively with number of snacks like pakoras, sandwiches, samosa, burger, idli, dosa, dhokla, dabeli, bhel puri, sev puri and different chaat recipes.
Storage and leftovers
Whether or not you’ve leftovers from a snack or made a batch of coriander chutney for later, you’ll be capable to take pleasure in this sauce for days to come back.
Retailer your coriander chutney leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for three to four days.
- Serve with chaat snacks: Coriander chutney is used to high numerous Indian Chaat Snacks, which have a candy, tangy, spicy style with numerous textures within the meals. A private favourite, chaat snacks are a fully wonderful class of Indian snacks.
- Watch the consistency: It is crucial that the coriander chutney flavors are preserved. Watch out to not skinny out your chutney an excessive amount of, because the flavors will get diluted. If it’s worthwhile to thicken your chutney, add some almond meal or almond flour or floor roasted peanut powder.
- Personalize the flavour. This chutney recipe could be very straightforward to customise. Improve the spiciness by including extra inexperienced chilies, or add a little bit of freshness through the use of half of mint and cilantro. You can even attempt substituting dry mango powder with lemon juice for a faint sourness.
- Scaling: You possibly can simply scale the recipe and make an enormous batch of dhania chutney in your occasion menu.
Coriander Chutney (Cilantro Chutney)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 20 Energy from Fats 9
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Vitamin A 1093IU22%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 9mg11%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 50µg48%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 12µgthree%
* P.c Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
Like our movies? Then do observe and subscribe to us on youtube to get the newest Recipe Video updates.
All our content material & images are copyright protected. Please don’t copy. As a blogger, for those who you need to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your personal phrases and provides a clickable hyperlink again to the recipe on this url.
This coriander chutney recipe publish from the archives (Feb 2013) has been republished and up to date on 6 April 2021.