Paneer Butter Masala is one among India’s hottest paneer gravy recipe. This recipe with Indian cottage cheese cubes in a creamy tomato sauce is one which I’ve been making for a very long time. With my video and step-by-step information you’ll be able to simply make this restaurant type paneer butter masala at house!
About this recipe
This Paneer Butter Masala recipe is a wealthy and creamy dish of paneer (cottage cheese) in a tomato, butter and cashew sauce (generally known as Makhani gravy).
The dish has a stunning tang coming from the tomatoes and is barely candy with a creamy and velvety really feel to it.
With my simple, fast and scrumptious recipe you’ll be able to put together this restaurant type paneer butter masala recipe inside minutes.
Known as by varied names akin to butter paneer or butter paneer masala or paneer makhani this dish is of the most well-liked Indian paneer dish. Clearly being so common it’s served in lots of Indian eating places.
A long time again (in another lifetime!) I’d make butter rooster and this paneer butter masala is customized from that recipe. For the primary time, I had realized find out how to make butter rooster throughout my cooking college days.
Later I tailored the identical recipe for making paneer butter masala. Loads of improvisations have occurred all through the years.
This Paneer Butter Masala recipe is likely one of the hottest paneer recipes on the weblog and have been made and cherished by lots of of readers.
You’ll be able to learn the feedback on the finish of the submit, which has quite a lot of optimistic suggestions and evaluations from our readers and followers.
Substances you want
- Ripe pink juicy tomatoes: Tomatoes are a key ingredient right here which type the bottom of the makhani sauce or gravy. Makhani sauce is ready from scratch with recent substances like tomatoes (particularly pureed tomatoes), cashews and butter. Onions will be added in order for you. Although historically onions are by no means added in a makhani gravy. So do use tomatoes which might be ripe and have a slight sweetness in them. Keep away from including tomatoes which might be bitter or too tart or unripe.
- Cashews: Yet one more essential ingredient is cashews which imparts a stunning creaminess and sheen within the dish. The sweetness of the cashews additionally balances the tanginess of the tomatoes. Typically in butter rooster or butter paneer, cream is added. To offer a creamy consistency and a candy tinge, I add each cashew paste and cream.
- Cream: As talked about above, other than cashews I additionally add a little bit of cream which thickens the gravy barely and makes it wealthy. Although including cream will be skipped for a much less wealthy model.
- Butter: The quantity of butter that’s added isn’t big however good on this paneer butter masala recipe. Butter makes the curry a bit wealthy and buttery. Although you’ll be able to go overboard by including some extra butter.
- Paneer: A top quality of paneer could make or break your dish. What you need are succulent gentle paneer cubes gently coated with a clean, buttery tomato sauce. So be sure that to make use of both home made paneer or good high quality retailer introduced paneer. Comply with the directions on the bundle earlier than utilizing paneer.
- Spices & herbs: The checklist of spices isn’t a lot. For that good orange colour, it’s worthwhile to add kashmiri pink chilli powder. You’ll be able to sub it with cayenne pepper or paprika. Additionally, you will want garam masala powder. Kasuri methi that are dried fenugreek leaves additionally add a great taste. Simply skip them if you happen to wouldn’t have. For garnish cilantro (coriander leaves) are added.
Swaps for a vegan model
If you’re a vegan don’t fear! You’ll be able to simply substitute the dairy substances with vegan alternate options and nonetheless get a scrumptious dish.
- Tofu: To make a vegan recipe, exchange tofu, seitan, tempeh with paneer.
- Vegan butter or oil: Add a neutral-tasting oil or vegan butter and skip cream altogether.
- Coconut cream: You’ll be able to even use coconut cream, however with coconut cream, the flavors of coconut will probably be felt within the closing dish.
How you can make Paneer Butter Masala
You’ll have to do some prep work earlier than you start making this scrumptious recipe. It begins with soaking your cashews, making tomato puree and mixing soaked cashews.
1. Soak 18 to 20 cashews in ⅓ cup scorching water for 20 to 30 minutes.
2. When the cashews are soaking, you’ll be able to prep the opposite substances like chopping tomatoes, chopping and getting ready the ginger-garlic paste, slicing paneer and so on.
three. Crush 1-inch ginger + three to four medium-sized garlic to a paste in a mortar pestle to a semi-fine or wonderful paste. Maintain apart. Don’t add any water whereas crushing ginger & garlic.
four. After 20 to 30 minutes, drain the water and add the soaked cashews in a blender or mixer-grinder. Additionally, add 2 to three tablespoons recent water or as required.
5. Mix to a clean paste with none tiny bits or chunks of cashews. Take away the cashew paste in a bowl and put aside.
6. In the identical blender add 2 cups of diced or roughly chopped tomatoes. No must blanch the tomatoes earlier than mixing.
7. Mix to a clean tomato puree. Put aside. Don’t add any water whereas mixing the tomatoes.
Making tomato gravy
eight. Warmth a thick bottomed pan or a heavy pan. Maintain the flame to a low or medium-low. Add 2 tablespoons butter OR 1 tablespoon oil + 1 or 2 tbsp butter in a pan.
Including oil prevents the butter from browning too shortly. You’ll be able to even add three to four tablespoons butter for a wealthy buttery model. Each salted or unsalted butter will be added.
9. Maintain the flame to a low. Add 1 medium-sized tej patta (Indian bay leaf). Fry for two to three seconds or until the oil turns into aromatic from the aroma of the tej patta.
10. Add the ready crushed ginger-garlic or 1 teaspoon prepared ginger-garlic paste.
11. Fry for some seconds until the uncooked aroma of the ginger-garlic disappears.
12. Pour the ready tomato puree. Watch out whereas including the puree as it could splutter.
13. Combine it very effectively with the butter.
14. Start to prepare dinner the tomato puree on a low to medium-low flame. Stir at intervals.
15. The tomato puree combination will begin simmering.
16. In case the tomato puree splutters an excessive amount of whereas cooking then cowl the pan partly with a lid or cowl absolutely with a splatter lid (channi lid). the tomato puree may splutter if there’s extra water content material within the tomatoes.
17. Do stir at intervals.
18. Simmer the puree for five to six minutes.
19. Then add 1 teaspoon Kashmiri pink chilli powder or deghi mirch. You’ll be able to even add ½ teaspoon Kashmiri pink chilli powder or ¼ to ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper or paprika or some other number of pink chilli powder.
20. Combine effectively and proceed to stir and sauté the tomato puree.
21. Sauté until the butter begins leaving the perimeters of the pan and all the tomato puree combination comes collectively as a complete.
This whole cooking and sautéing of the tomato puree take about 14 to 17 minutes on a low flame to medium-low flame.
Time will differ relying on the thickness of the pan, dimension, the depth of flame and so on.
Including cashew paste
22. Now add the ready cashew paste.
23. Combine the cashew paste very effectively with the cooked tomato puree and proceed to stir and sauté on a low to medium-low flame. Stir continuous after including cashew paste.
24. Sauté until the cashew paste is cooked and once more the oil will begin to depart the perimeters of the masala. The cashew will start to prepare dinner quick. Approx three to four minutes on a low flame. So carry on stirring continuous.
25. Subsequent add 1.5 cups water.
Making paneer butter masala
26. Combine the water very effectively with the tomato-cashew makhani masala. If there are lumps of the tomato-cashew masala, then break with a spoon. You’ll be able to even use a wired whisk for mixing.
27. Let the curry simmer and are available to a boil. Stir sometimes.
28. After 2 to three minutes, add ginger julienne (about 1-inch ginger – lower in julienne (skinny matchstick-like strips). Reserve a couple of for garnishing. The curry may even start to thicken.
29. After three to four minutes, add 1 or 2 slit inexperienced chillies.
30. Additionally add salt as per style and ½ to 1 teaspoon sugar (elective). You’ll be able to add sugar from ¼ tsp to 1 teaspoon or extra relying on the sourness of the tomatoes.
Sugar is elective and you may skip it too. In the event you add cream, then you will have so as to add much less sugar.
31. Combine very effectively and simmer for a minute.
32. After the gravy thickens to your required consistency, then add the paneer cubes (200 or 250 grams).
Remember the consistency you need earlier than you add paneer as you’ll be cooking the paneer for a couple of seconds.
It’s also possible to fry the paneer after which add the paneer as soon as the gravy has turn into creamy. I hold the gravy to a medium consistency gravy.
33. Stir and blend the paneer cubes gently within the gravy. You’ll be able to change off the warmth at this level.
In the event you discover that the paneer cubes are nonetheless uncooked to style, then change off warmth after including cream.
34. Now shortly add 1 teaspoon crushed kasuri methi leaves (dry fenugreek leaves) and 1 teaspoon garam masala to the gravy.
Addition of crushed kasuri methi provides a restaurant taste. Kasuri methi is elective and will be skipped.
35. Subsequent add 2 to three tablespoons of low-fat cream or 1 to 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream.
36. Stir gently however effectively and change off the warmth.
37. Serve Paneer Butter Masala scorching garnished with 1 to 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) and the remaining ginger julienne. It’s also possible to drizzle some cream or dot with butter whereas serving.
What to eat with Paneer Butter Masala
- Eat with the staple Indian bread roti: Paneer butter masala gravy has a barely candy style and really mildly spiced. Thus making it a superb gravy to go together with roti or chapati.
- With different Indian breads: One other nice mixture for this dish is naan bread or tandoori roti or paratha or roomali roti or Malabar paratha.
- With rice: It additionally goes effectively with steamed basmati rice or jeera rice (cumin rice).
- Tomatoes: Since tomatoes are the important thing ingredient, be sure that to make use of ripe, pink and agency tomatoes with a barely candy style. The tomatoes shouldn’t be very bitter or tangy.
- Paneer (cottage cheese): At all times use home made paneer if attainable or a great high quality retailer introduced recent paneer. It’s best to make paneer at house and doesn’t take a lot time.
- Tomato puree: Do make a very clean puree from the tomatoes. If you would like you’ll be able to pressure the tomato puree additionally.
- Cooking tomato puree: The tomato puree needs to be sautéed and cooked very well. Oil or butter ought to depart sides of the sautéed tomato puree. If the tomato puree isn’t sautéed effectively, the uncooked taste of tomatoes will probably be felt within the dish.
- Butter: Use good high quality butter. You should use each unsalted or salted butter. Each yellow butter or white butter will be added.
- Cashew paste: To mix cashews to a wonderful consistency, it’s higher to soak them in scorching water for 30 minutes.
- Substitute for cashews: In the event you don’t have cashews then the perfect different is almonds. Soak the almonds in scorching water for 30 minutes. Then peel them and mix to a wonderful consistency with little water.
- Style and taste: If the gravy tastes tangy or bitter, then to stability the bitter style you’ll be able to add a little bit of sugar or cream. However don’t add an excessive amount of sugar as then the gravy turns into too candy. Additionally, do notice if you happen to add cream you then might need so as to add much less sugar within the gravy.
- Frying paneer: You’ll be able to fry the paneer cubes in order for you after which add within the ready gravy or sauce.
- Coloration: To get the intense orangish-red colour, it’s best to make use of Kashmiri pink chilli powder or deghi mirch as a substitute of synthetic meals colours. Utilizing deep pink coloured tomatoes additionally contribute to a stunning orange colour within the gravy.
Butter paneer is one other title for Paneer Butter Masala. They’re one and the identical dish.
Paneer Butter Masala is a creamy and mildly candy gravy made with butter, tomatoes, cashews, spices and paneer. Paneer Tikka Masala is a sturdy dish made with grilled yogurt marinated paneer cubes in a spicy, fragrant tomato-onion gravy.
Onions are in no way required on this recipe as they alter the style of the gravy. However if you happen to nonetheless wish to add them, simply add about ¼ to ⅓ cup finely chopped onions.
You’ll be able to add ½ cup onion paste. Add paste after including tej patta after which sauté the onion paste until mild golden.
In Indian recipes the place cashews are floor to a paste, uncooked cashews are used at all times and never the roasted selection.
You should use cashew butter (unsweetened) or add almonds. Soak almonds in scorching water for 30 minutes. Take away the peels and mix to a clean consistency in a blender or mixer. It’s also possible to use almond powder or almond meal.
Sure, you should utilize canned tomato puree. However add sugar within the gravy if required if the puree is just too tangy.
Sure, you’ll be able to blanch tomatoes earlier than pureeing them. In the event you favor you’ll be able to pressure the tomato puree.
Sure it will scale back the cooking time, however the style will probably be similar.
Sure you should utilize canned tomatoes.
Within the recipe, use tomatoes which aren’t very tangy or bitter. The tomatoes needs to be ripe however agency. They need to be pink in colour and never yellow or white. Roma tomatoes are a good selection. In the event you stay in India, use the massive salad tomatoes or bigger sized tomatoes and never the small Indian desi number of tomatoes.
Simply skip including it.
You’ll be able to add milk powder, however it’s a must to watch out because it makes the dish excessively candy. I’d counsel so as to add ½ tablespoon initially and do a style examine. If gravy isn’t creamy or candy sufficient, then add an additional ¼ to ½ tablespoon however keep away from including greater than a complete of 1 tablespoon. Don’t add milk, as it could curdle from the acidity of tomatoes.
Merely skip the cream in my paneer butter masala recipe. The cashews do give a creaminess to the gravy.
Kasuri methi are dried fenugreek leaves. They’re extremely fragrant and provides a delicate aroma in any dish. You’ll be able to skip them or sub with a lightweight pinch of floor fenugreek seeds powder.
Attempt including some extra cream and a bit extra sugar. This can stability the sourness within the gravy
Honey turns into poisonous when heated, so higher to keep away from it. Or you’ll be able to add honey, when the paneer butter masala is heat. Don’t add when scorching.
You should use ghee (clarified butter) or impartial tasting oil.
In the event you omit including wealthy substances like cream or butter, then paneer butter masala is wholesome.
Paneer turns into rubbery and dense when they’re overcooked. Attempt to not prepare dinner them for a very long time in a gravy or curry. Merely combine them with the gravy and change off the warmth or you’ll be able to prepare dinner them within the gravy for a couple of seconds.
Sure you’ll be able to fry the paneer, earlier than you add them within the gravy. You’ll be able to both pan fry or shallow fry paneer cubes till mild golden. Don’t fry them for a very long time – they turn into dense and rubbery.
In case your home made paneer has an excessive amount of moisture, it is going to break and crumble whereas cooking.
In the event you made this recipe, please remember to price it within the recipe card under. In the event you’d like extra scrumptious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Signal Up for my electronic mail publication. It’s also possible to observe me on Instagram, Fb, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for extra vegetarian inspiration.
Paneer Butter Masala is one among India’s hottest paneer recipe. This recipe with Indian cottage cheese cubes in a creamy tomato sauce is a greatest one which I’ve been making for a very long time.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 30 minutes
Complete Time 40 minutes
Delicacies North Indian
Course: Most important Course
Food regimen: Gluten Free, Vegetarian
Issue Stage: Simple
Soak cashews in a scorching water for 20 to 30 minutes. When the cashews are soaking, you’ll be able to prep the opposite substances like chopping tomatoes, getting ready ginger-garlic paste, slicing paneer and so on.
Then drain and add the soaked cashews in a blender or mixer-grinder.
Add 2 to three tablespoons water and mix to a clean paste with none tiny bits or items of cashews.
In the identical blender add the roughly chopped tomatoes. No must blanch the tomatoes earlier than mixing.
Mix to a clean tomato puree. Maintain apart. Don’t add any water whereas mixing the tomatoes.
Making tomato gravy
Soften butter in a pan on a low flame. Add tej patta and fry for two to three seconds or until the oil turn into aromatic.
Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for some seconds until the uncooked aroma disappears.
Add the tomato puree and stir effectively. Prepare dinner for five to six minutes. Then add kashmiri pink chili powder and stir once more. Proceed to sauté until the oil begins to go away the perimeters of the tomato paste. The tomato paste will thicken significantly and can begin coming collectively as one entire lump.
Then add cashew paste and stir effectively. Sauté the cashew paste for a couple of minutes until the oil begins to go away the perimeters of the masala paste.
The cashew paste will start to prepare dinner quick. Approx three to four minutes on a low flame. So hold stirring continuous.
Making paneer butter masala
Add water and blend very effectively. Simmer on a low flame.
The curry will come to a boil.
After 2 to three minutes of boiling, add ginger julienne. Reserve a couple of for garnishing. The curry may even start to thicken.
Add julienned ginger and inexperienced chillies, salt and sugar and simmer until the curry begins to thicken.
After three to four minutes, add slit inexperienced chillies. additionally add salt as per style and ½ to 1 teaspoon sugar (elective).
You’ll be able to differ the sugar amount from ¼ tsp to 1 teaspoon or extra relying on the sourness of the tomatoes. Sugar is elective and you may skip it too. In the event you add cream, then you will have so as to add much less sugar.
Combine very effectively and simmer for a minute.
After the gravy thickens to your required consistency, then add the paneer cubes and stir gently. i hold the gravy to a medium consistency.
After that add crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves), garam masala and cream. Gently combine after which change off the flame.
Garnish it with coriander leaves and ginger julienne.
You’ll be able to even dot the gravy with some butter or drizzle some cream.
Serve paneer butter masala scorching with plain naan, garlic naan, roti, paratha or steamed basmati or jeera rice and even peas pulao.
Facet accompaniments will be an onion-cucumber salad or some pickle. Additionally serve some lemon wedges by the facet.
- Butter: Use good high quality butter. You’ll be able to add each unsalted or salted butter. Additionally each yellow butter or white butter will be added.
- Tomatoes: It’s best to make use of recent, ripe pink tomatoes. Add tomatoes which have sweet-tangy style. Don’t add tomatoes that are too bitter or tart.
- Tomato puree: Mix the tomatoes to a clean puree. If you would like you’ll be able to pressure the tomato puree additionally.
- Sautéing tomato puree: The tomato puree needs to be cooked and sautéed very effectively. Oil or butter ought to depart sides of the cooked tomato puree in order that the uncooked taste of tomatoes isn’t felt within the dish.
- Paneer: Greatest to make use of home made gentle paneer or a great high quality retailer introduced recent paneer
- Cream: The quantity of cream will be adjusted as per your style.
- Cashew paste: To mix cashews to a wonderful consistency, it’s higher to soak them in scorching water for 20 to 30 minutes. Use a great blender to get a clean creamy cashew paste.
- Changing cashews: In the event you don’t have cashews then add almonds. Blanch the almonds in scorching water for 30 minutes. Then peel and mix them until clean with some water.
- Sugar: Addition of sugar relies upon upon your style in addition to the tanginess current within the tomatoes. So add as per style. In the event you add cream you then might need so as to add much less sugar.
- Style and taste: If the butter paneer masala gravy tastes tangy or bitter, then to stability the bitter style you’ll be able to add a little bit of sugar or cream. However don’t add an excessive amount of sugar as then the gravy turns into too candy. Additionally, do notice if you happen to add cream you then might need so as to add much less sugar within the sauce or gravy.
- Coloration: To get the intense orangish-red colour, its greatest to make use of kashmiri pink chilli powder or deghi mirch as a substitute of synthetic meals colours. Utilizing deep pink coloured tomatoes additionally contribute to a stunning orange colour within the gravy.
- Frying paneer (elective): You’ll be able to fry the paneer cubes in order for you after which add within the ready sauce or gravy.
Paneer Butter Masala
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 307 Energy from Fats 243
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 15g94%
Ldl cholesterol 66mg22%
Vitamin A 1066IU21%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 14mg17%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 9µg9%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 13µgthree%
* P.c Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.
Like our movies? Then do observe and subscribe to us on youtube to get the most recent Recipe Video updates.
All our content material & photographs are copyright protected. Please don’t copy. As a blogger, if you happen to you wish to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your personal phrases and provides a clickable hyperlink again to the recipe on this url.
This paneer butter masala recipe submit from the archives (April 2013) has been republished and up to date on 28 December 2020.