This traditional fried rice recipe is loaded with contemporary combined veggies and fragrant spices for an extremely hearty, flavorful vegan dish. Palms-down that is certainly one of our favourite Chinese language-inspired recipes. Not solely is vegetable fried rice amazingly straightforward to make from scratch, it’s a naturally vegan dish that’s nearly as good for you as it’s scrumptious to eat. You may even tweak veg fried rice to be gluten-free just by utilizing GF-friendly soy sauce or tamari.
Why this recipe works
And though Chinese language fried rice is a wholesome choice, it’s loaded with numerous thrilling flavors. Salty and savory soy sauce is balanced with spiced star anise, and uncooked scallions add an amazing pop of freshness you’ll love.
In any other case, I’ve stored the components checklist relatively primary to permit every ingredient to shine – the veggies actually are the star right here!
Fried rice with combined veggies might be loved by itself for a satisfying lunch, but it surely does go nice with wealthy, saucy most important dishes.
This recipe rivals even one of the best take out choices, and I’m positive you’ll take pleasure in making it usually as a part of your Indo-Chinese language meals.
How one can make Fried Rice
Prepping and Cooking Rice
1. An excellent vegetable fried rice recipe begins with well-cooked white rice. To take action, first soak 1 cup of basmati rice (200 grams) in water for 30 minutes. Then drain and set the rice apart. You may go for a great high quality aged long-grained rice.
2. In a big pot add four to four.5 cups of water, ½ teaspoon salt and a pair of to three drops of toasted sesame oil (or any cooking oil), and set over excessive warmth on the range high.
three. Let the water attain a full boil.
four. Add the soaked and drained basmati rice.
5. Simmer the rice uncovered on medium to medium-high warmth.
6. Cook dinner the rice till al dente, or simply about cooked. It’s vital that you don’t overcook rice throughout this step so as to make one of the best Chinese language fried rice dish.
7. Rapidly pressure the rice in a colander, and let the rice cool fully. Refrigerating rice for 30 minutes additionally helps. Merely cowl the rice and refrigerate.
eight. You may as well rinse the rice with water in order that the rice stops cooking. Use your arms to softly stir the rice round whereas rinsing to make sure that each grain is cooled. Then drain completely.
9. Cowl the rice and put aside to chill.
10. Whereas the rice is cooling, finely chop the veggies. As a result of french beans are usually harder than the opposite combined greens, I like to recommend chopping them very finely. You even have the choice to blanch them first earlier than including, or you possibly can start cooking them on this recipe earlier than the remainder of the greens are added.
For my favourite model of fried rice recipe you’ll want ¼ cup of every of the next components, finely chopped:
- spring white onions (scallions) (not within the picture under)
- french beans
- capsicum (bell peppers, your selection of colour – inexperienced, purple or yellow)
Plus about 1 cup of chopped button mushrooms for excellent earthy, savory taste. I additionally like to incorporate 1 tablespoon of finely chopped celery for essentially the most genuine Chinese language-inspired dish. Embrace ¼ cup of cabbage when you have them.
11. Now it’s time to stir-fry the greens. Begin by heating three tablespoons of toasted sesame oil (or most well-liked cooking oil) in a wok or a deep skillet. Add 1 entire star anise and fry for a couple of seconds, till the oil turns into aromatic.
TIP: Use a great heavy pan, skillet or wok for stir-frying, in order that the tender contemporary veggies don’t get caught or burn when frying at a excessive warmth.
12. Then add 1 teaspoon of finely chopped garlic, and ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger. Cook dinner for under a second as you don’t wish to brown or burn the garlic.
13. Add the chopped spring onions, and sauté for a minute or two on medium-low to medium warmth.
14. Then add the finely chopped french beans – or, add these earlier than the onions in order for you a softer bean texture.
15. Proceed to stir-fry each the onions and french beans for two to three minutes over medium to medium-high warmth.
16. Now add the remaining finely chopped veggies, together with mushrooms and celery. Enhance the warmth to excessive to completely prepare dinner all the components.
17. Constantly toss and stir whereas frying in order that the veggies are uniformly cooked and don’t get burnt for about four to six minutes. You need the greens to be sizzling and fried, however nonetheless retain some nice crunch.
18. As soon as the veggies have cooked for a minute or two, add three tablespoons of soy sauce. Stir effectively.
19. Style the dish, after which add ½ a teaspoon of pepper and as a lot salt as you want. The Chinese language fried rice will already be barely salty due to the soy sauce, so not a lot extra salt ought to be wanted.
20. Combine effectively to mix the flavors.
Making fried rice
21. You at the moment are able to put all the things collectively to make the veg fried rice. To the wok or skillet of veggies add the cooked and cooled rice – 1 cup or so at a time.
22. Use a spoon or spatula to softly fold the rice into the combined greens.
23. With the warmth nonetheless on medium to medium-high, proceed to softly combine and fry the greens with the rice.
24. You now have the choice to stir in tablespoon of rice wine or rice vinegar (or different gentle vinegar), in the event you like. This provides a terrific word of sourness to the veg fried rice that isn’t crucial however is sort of beautiful.
25. Lastly, add extra contemporary chopped spring onions. You may both sprinkle on high as a garnish, or combine into the fried rice to include.
26. Serve vegetable fried rice sizzling by itself for a lightweight but hearty meal, or take pleasure in as a aspect dish alongside together with your different favourite Chinese language recipes.
How lengthy can fried rice keep in fridge?
It stays good for a few a days. However I’d suggest it to be eaten as quickly as you possibly can – many days rice shouldn’t be good for well being.
How one can reheat fried rice?
I normally steam them in my Immediate-pot for five minutes. Typically I additionally stir-fry them in a pan sprinkling a couple of splashes of water, in order that the rice grains don’t dry out.
What goes with Vegetable Fried Rice?
Although fried rice tastes nice by itself, listed under are some sides that pair significantly paired with vegetable fried rice (these are additionally my favorites):
- Cooking rice: Don’t overcook the rice. When first boiling the rice you wish to prepare dinner the grains in order that they’re al dente. Make sure you at all times drain and fully cool the rice earlier than including it to the stir fry. Moist and/or sizzling rice won’t prepare dinner correctly, and can wind up mushy in your veg fried rice.
- Veggies: Use your favourite veggies. I just like the carrots, cabbage, beans, and mushrooms used on this chinese language fried rice recipe. Nonetheless, you possibly can add your most well-liked selection of greens to your model of veg fried rice.
- Flavors and seasonings: Add a little bit of tomato sauce for a barely candy taste. To make spicy veg fried rice, add some purple chili sauce or inexperienced chili sauce together with the soy sauce.
- Celery: I like to recommend to not skip celery! Finely diced celery provides nice texture and style to this Chinese language-inspired recipe. When you actually can skip including in the event you don’t have it obtainable, I extremely suggest that you just do embrace it if you’ll be able to.
Because the stir-frying is completed at a excessive warmth, it’s best to keep away from further virgin olive oil because it has a low smoke level.
Oil with a excessive smoking temperatures are good to make fried rice. For a stunning nutty aroma, I counsel toasted sesame oil. Fat like sunflower, avocado, peanut oil and butter are some higher choices.
Lengthy grained non-sticky rice is normally utilized in Chinese language cooking. Basmati recipe suits the invoice because it lengthy grained and non-sticky as effectively. Attempt to use aged basmati rice for finest outcomes.
How do you make fried rice not soggy?
Drain your rice completely. There shouldn’t be any liquids or water in them. The cooked rice needs to be cooled fully. Including heat or sizzling rice whereas stir-frying will make it soggy and pasty. The rice needs to be chilly or at room temperature when stir-frying.
Why did my fried rice come out mushy
Al dente cooked rice are excellent for a non-mushy fried rice. If the rice grains have softened or overdone, they are going to break when stir-frying and change into mushy.
If you happen to made this recipe, please you’ll want to fee it within the recipe card under. If you happen to’d like extra scrumptious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Signal Up for my electronic mail e-newsletter. You may as well observe me on Instagram, Fb, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for extra vegetarian inspiration.
This traditional Chinese language fried rice recipe is loaded with contemporary combined veggies and fragrant spices for an extremely hearty, flavorful vegan veg fried rice.
Prep Time 40 minutes
Cook dinner Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 1 hr
Delicacies Indo Chinese language
Course: Essential Course
Eating regimen: Vegan, Vegetarian
Problem Degree: Reasonable
Rinse rice very effectively until the water runs away from starch. Soak rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain and preserve apart.
In a pot, carry water to a delicate boil with salt and a pair of to three drops of toasted sesame oil.
Add the soaked and drained rice to the new water.
On a low to medium to medium-high warmth simmer rice with out the lid.
When the rice turns into al dente or simply about cooked, take away the pot from hearth and drain the rice in a colander or sieve.
You may as well gently rinse the rice in water in order that they cease cooking and do not stick to one another. Cowl the rice and put aside till the rice cools fully. You may even refrigerate rice with a lined lid for 30 minutes.
When the rice is cooling, chop the veggies finely and preserve apart.
Bear in mind to cut the french beans very finely. They take extra time to prepare dinner than different veggies. You may as well blanch them first after which prepare dinner. An alternative choice is so as to add the beans first after which add the opposite greens.
Making fried rice
Warmth oil in a wok or a pan. First add the star anise and fry for a couple of seconds or till the oil turns into aromatic.
Add the garlic, ginger and sauté for some seconds. No have to brown the garlic.
Add the spring onions whites and sauté for about 2 minutes.
Then add finely chopped french beans.
Stir fry french beans for two to three minutes over medium to medium-high warmth.
Add the remaining finely chopped veggies, together with mushrooms and celery. Enhance the warmth to a excessive to completely prepare dinner all the components.
It’s a must to constantly toss and stir whereas frying in order that the veggies are uniformly cooked and don’t get burnt.
The veggies should be stir-fried, till they’re nearly cooked and but retain their crunchiness and crispiness. Stir-frying greens on excessive warmth takes about four to six minutes.
Add the soy sauce, salt and pepper. Stir shortly and add the rice. Stir fry for a couple of minutes till the sauce has coated the rice effectively. Preserve a examine when including salt, as soy sauce already has salt in it.
Serve the fried rice sizzling as it’s or with together with your favourite Chinese language aspect.
- Rice: Aged, long-grained non- sticky white rice is one of the best to make fried rice. Right here I’ve used basmati rice.
- Veggies: You may add your favourite greens or mushrooms.
- Celery: Omit including celery, in the event you don’t have it.
- Soy sauce: Ideally use naturally brewed soy sauce. For a gluten free fried rice, use tamari or bragg liquid aminos.
- Oils: Peanut, sunflower, avocado oil are good choices as they’ve a excessive smoking level which is fits stir frying at excessive warmth.
- Cooking rice: Don’t overcook rice. You solely need rice to be al dente. All the time drain and fully cool the rice earlier than including it to the stir fry. Moist or sizzling rice will find yourself being mushy.
- Flavors and seasonings: Add a little bit of tomato sauce for a barely candy taste. To make spicy fried rice, add some purple chili sauce or inexperienced chili sauce together with the soy sauce.
- Soggy and mushy rice: Drain your rice completely. There shouldn’t be any water in them. Cooked rice needs to be cooled fully earlier than you start stir-frying. Tender or overdone rice breaks when stir-frying and turns into mushy.
- Reheating fried rice: I normally steam them in my Immediate-pot for five minutes. Typically I additionally stir-fry them in a pan sprinkling a couple of splashes of water, in order that the rice grains don’t dry out.
Fried Rice Recipe
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 394 Energy from Fats 135
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Vitamin A 2014IU40%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 3mg15%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 17mg21%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 37µg35%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 29µg7%
* % Day by day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.
Like our movies? Then do observe and subscribe to us on youtube to get the most recent Recipe Video updates.
All our content material & images are copyright protected. Please don’t copy. As a blogger, in the event you you wish to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your individual phrases and provides a clickable hyperlink again to the recipe on this url.
This fried rice recipe from the archives (August 2013) has been republished and up to date on 26 December 2020 with newer images, my professional ideas and faqs.