Peanut chutney or groundnut chutney is a fast, scrumptious, and glorious substitute for Coconut Chutney. Serve it with the basic South Indian breakfast of idli, dosa, medu vada, or uttapam for a hearty, healthful, wholesome meal. It’s naturally vegan too.
About this recipe
So like me what number of of you want peanuts? It’s a fantastic ingredient to work with.
Some Indian curries made with peanuts style merely delish. They not solely add a ton of taste but in addition assist in thickening these curries.
Peanuts are also referred to as groundnuts. For those who love peanuts, you’ll go gaga over this South Indian recipe of peanut chutney. It’s so good.
The candy, nutty flavors of peanuts are completely balanced with the spice, warmth of inexperienced chilies, and the umami taste of chana dal.
Make it and thank me later. You need to do that peanut chutney to understand how superior it’s.
Why this recipe works
Making peanut chutney is a breeze and my recipe will suit your wants for those who wouldn’t have useful coconut – contemporary, frozen, or desiccated.
My newly up to date recipe is simpler, as you may merely make it with uncooked chana dal with out having to make use of roasted chana dal.
I additionally embody some white sesame seeds. Peanuts, chana dal, and sesame seeds – a wholesome trio, isn’t it? So it is a wholesome chutney recipe for you.
, many occasions I’ve each contemporary coconut and desiccated coconut in my kitchen. However there are events when there isn’t any hint of any coconut within the pantry.
We typically have a typical Indian breakfast within the mornings. Both it’s idli or dosa or poha or paratha.
So after I make idli or dosa, I’ve to make some chutney – proper? On such events, I make this fast peanut chutney. And what if there are not any peanuts or coconut? Then I make Tomato Chutney 🙂
In contrast to coconut chutney, this peanut chutney gained’t grow to be spoiled or rancid for those who embody it in a lunchbox or maintain it out for an extended period at room temperature.
The chutney is superb throughout winters because of the nature of peanuts being heaty.
How one can make Peanut Chutney
Frying chana dal
1. Warmth 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Maintain the warmth to low and add 2 tablespoons chana dal (20 grams). Chana dal is husked and halved brown child chickpeas. They’re additionally referred to as bengal gram.
For the oil you should use sunflower, peanut, canola, rice bran, safflower, avocado, or grapeseed oil.
2. Unfold the chana dal evenly on the pan with every lentil being in direct contact with the pan.
three. Stirring usually fry the chana dal till they flip golden. Fry them at low warmth, in order that they don’t burn. Bear in mind to fry chana dal totally as you don’t want them to be even a bit uncooked.
four. Take away with a slotted spoon and set the fried chana dal apart.
5. To the identical oil, add ½ cup peanuts (80 grams).
6. Combine them with the oil and begin roasting them on low warmth.
7. Stirring at intervals roast them till they alter shade and also you see their fragile papery skins having nice cracks. Additionally, you will hear their sputtering sound.
Roasting them takes four to five minutes on low to medium-low warmth. Style just a few and they need to have a crunchy and crisp texture.
eight. Now add 10 to 12 curry leaves (medium to large-sized), 2 inexperienced chillies, 2 garlic cloves (small to medium), and 1 pinch asafetida (hing).
TIP: Inexperienced chilies convey quite a lot of taste and a few warmth to the recipe. They assist to stability the sweetness from the peanuts. Relying on the kind of inexperienced chilies you will have, you may add 2 to three chilies and even four of them.
In case you have spicy Indian inexperienced chilies, then add 1 or 2. In case you have much less spicy inexperienced chilies, then add three or four. You too can add 2 to three dry pink chilies instead of the inexperienced chilies.
9. Sauté for a minute or till the curry leaves grow to be crisp.
10. Add 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (10 grams).
11. Combine and swap off the warmth. Put aside the pan in order that the chutney elements cool at room temperature.
Making Peanut Chutney
12. When the groundnut chutney elements are cooled, place them in a blender or a mixer-grinder. Add the fried chana dal and salt as per style.
TIP: I might counsel starting with ½ teaspoon salt when mixing. Then add just a few pinches as you mix doing the style check.
13. Add water in components and start to mix.
TIP: I’ve added ¾ cup water which provides a medium-thick consistency. For a thicker chutney, add ½ cup water.
14. Mix to a clean consistency and take all the peanut chutney in a bowl. Now in order for you you may additional mood the chutney. However you don’t have to because the peanut chutney tastes superior the best way it’s.
- Idli, Dosa: My peanut chutney recipe tastes too good with the South Indian breakfast of idli, dosa and makes for an excellent wholesome meal. It additionally pairs properly with medu vada, rava idli, rava dosa, and upma.
- Pakora: Once I wouldn’t have coriander leaves useful to make Coriander Chutney, I put together this groundnut chutney to serve with the assorted sorts of pakora – onion pakoda, bread pakoda, or potato pakora.
- Rice: This chutney pairs deliciously as a aspect condiment with some steamed rice.
- Bread: Slather on a bread (toasted or plain) for a fast snack or breakfast possibility.
How lengthy does peanut chutney final within the fridge?
I make this peanut chutney and refrigerate it. It stays good for two to three days. At any time when I make mild snacks I serve this chutney with them or with the household favourite – idli and dosa.
Retailer your peanut chutney in an air-tight container. Refrigerate and use at any time when required inside 2 to three days.
- Peanuts: For the chutney, all the time use contemporary dry peanuts. Don’t use peanuts which have gone rancid. You too can attempt to make the chutney with roasted unsalted peanuts. Merely roast them flippantly within the oil after which comply with the remaining steps within the recipe.
- Chana dal: These yellow lentils are husked and break up bengal gram or brown child chickpeas. In case you have roasted chana dal, you may add ¼ cup of roasted chana dal if you add the sesame seeds.
- Consistency: You can also make the groundnut chutney thick or medium, by including much less or extra water.
- Variations: In case you are seeking to make this chutney extra flavorful by including coconut or curd or doing a tempering, then there isn’t any want. It tastes nice by itself. However nonetheless, for those who desire to mood the chutney, you are able to do so. However I by no means felt the necessity to do that.
Sure after all. Peanuts are a wealthy supply of protein and dietary fiber. In addition they are a great supply of minerals and vitamin B and E. Peanuts have a much less glycemic index and thus useful for folks with diabetes.
You’ll be able to omit so as to add sesame seeds. You too can add black sesame seeds however the shade of the groundnut chutney will probably be totally different.
Sure certain. Typically, I add a tiny piece of tamarind within the chutney. You’ll be able to substitute tamarind with ½ teaspoon lemon juice or 1 to 2 tablespoons curd (yogurt).
Sure, ½ teaspoon chopped ginger will work properly.
Sure, certain – omit the asafetida for those who wouldn’t have it – for a gluten-free peanut chutney.
I don’t take away the peanut skins. For those who desire having them eliminated, roast the peanuts. Unfold them on a plate and funky at room temperature. Peel the skins by rubbing the peanuts in your palms. Fry the opposite elements in 1 teaspoon oil. Mix all the pieces collectively.
Curry leaves are an important herb in groundnut chutney. Although not a alternative, however including 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) would give a pleasant style. For those who wouldn’t have both curry leaves or cilantro, then skip them. The chutney will style totally different with out the herby taste of curry leaves.
Skip including chana dal altogether. The style of the chutney gained’t be the identical with out chana dal.
For those who made this recipe, please make sure to fee it within the recipe card under. For those who’d like extra scrumptious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Signal Up for my e mail e-newsletter. You too can comply with me on Instagram, Fb, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for extra vegetarian inspiration.
Peanut chutney or groundnut chutney is a fast, scrumptious, vegan chutney. Serve it with the basic South Indian breakfast of idli, dosa, medu vada or uttapam for a hearty, healthful, wholesome meal.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook dinner Time 15 minutes
Whole Time 20 minutes
Course: Aspect Dish
Eating regimen: Diabetic, Vegan
Problem Stage: Straightforward
Frying chana dal
Warmth 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Maintain the warmth to low and add chana dal.
Unfold the chana dal evenly on the pan. Stirring usually fry the chana dal till they flip golden taking care they don’t burn.
Fry them totally as you don’t want any rawness in them. Take away with a slotted spoon and set them apart.
To the identical oil, add the peanuts.
Stirring usually roast the peanuts on low to medium-low warmth for four to five minutes till they’re crispy and crunchy.
Add curry leaves inexperienced chillies, garlic cloves and asafoetida. Combine and sauté for a minute or till the curry leaves grow to be crisp.
Add sesame seeds and blend. Swap off warmth. Put aside the pan to chill the chutney elements at room temperature.
Making peanut chutney
When the chutney elements have grow to be heat or at room temperature, place them in a blender or a mixer-grinder. Add the fried chana dal and salt as per style.
Add water in components and mix to a clean consistency.
Take away peanut chutney in a bowl.
Idli, dosa, vada: This peanut chutney recipe tastes too good with idli, dosa, vada, upma, rava idli, rava dosa and makes for an excellent wholesome meal.
Pakora: Serve with varied sorts of pakora, instance onion pakoda, bread pakoda or potato pakora.
Rice: You too can have it as a aspect condiment with some steamed rice.
Bread: Slather on a bread (toasted or plain) for a fast snack or breakfast possibility.
- Chana dal: These yellow lentils are husked and break up bengal gram or brown child chickpeas. If utilizing roasted chana dal, add ¼ cup of it if you add the sesame seeds.
- Peanuts: All the time use contemporary dry peanuts. Don’t use peanuts which have gone rancid. If utilizing roasted roasted unsalted peanuts, merely roast them flippantly in oil after which comply with the remaining steps within the recipe.
- Consistency: By altering the amount of water, you may have a thick or medium consistency.
- Variations: In case you are seeking to make this chutney extra flavorful by including coconut or curd or doing a tempering, then there isn’t any want. It tastes nice by itself. However nonetheless for those who desire to mood the chutney, you are able to do so.
Ingredient swapsWhite sesame seeds: Merely omit or substitute with black sesame seeds. The colour of the chutney will probably be totally different with black sesame seeds. Garlic: Use about ½ inch ginger. Asafetida: Skip including it within the peanut chutney. Curry leaves: Not a alternative, however including 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) offers a pleasant style. Skip them for those who wouldn’t have these. Word that with out the herby taste of curry leaves, the chutney can have a distinct style. Chana dal: Skip including them totally.
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 186 Energy from Fats 126
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Vitamin A 113IU2%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 37mg185%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 63mg76%
Vitamin E 3mg20%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 381µg95%
* % Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
Like our movies? Then do comply with and subscribe to us on youtube to get the newest Recipe Video updates.
All our content material & pictures are copyright protected. Please don’t copy. As a blogger, for those who you need to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your individual phrases and provides a clickable hyperlink again to the recipe on this url.
This peanut chutney recipe from the archives (Feb 2013) has been republished and up to date on 25 December 2020 with newer pictures, my professional ideas and faqs.