This deliciously spiced and seasoned yogurt curry is a longtime household favourite. Try this yummy recipe for my Mother’s Moru Curry, a standard dish in South Indian delicacies. Fantastically easy and full of taste, this Kerala Moru Curry recipe is certain to grow to be a favourite in your loved ones’s dinner rotation.
What’s Moru Curry?
A Kerala type curry, Moru is a yogurt primarily based curry that may be made both with or with out coconut. The phrase “Moru” refers to “buttermilk” in Malayalam. My mother’s recipe truly requires curd or yogurt as an alternative of buttermilk.
Bitter curd is whisked in water to get a buttermilk like consistency. Moru curry will also be made with conventional buttermilk acquired from churning butter. Each methods the curry tastes similar to the genuine dish I grew up with.
Also referred to as Nadan Moru Curry, Moru Charu, Kachiya Moru or Pulissery, Moru Curry is part of the Onam Sadya.
Spiced with inexperienced chilies for warmth, cumin for perfumed heat and floor coconut, this scrumptious dish is ideal on a scorching summer season’s day. It doesn’t matter what you name it, this meal is certain to please.
Why this recipe works
My recipe makes use of floor coconut, inexperienced chilies and cumin paste, all of which convey quite a lot of taste to the curry. It may be made with out including the coconut paste relying in your taste preferences, too.
Whereas lots of you’re accustomed to my cooking, I discovered from the perfect – my mother. This recipe is her model of Moru Curry, and it’s scrumptious.
In case you are desirous to make this Keralan specialty at dwelling, I extremely counsel you do this pleasant and easy recipe.
Whereas typically this dish is solely served over rice, I typically select so as to add in a complete host of greens to show it right into a full-on meal.
In case you love veggies as a lot as I do, I counsel making an attempt my recipe with my favorites for this curry: taro root, ash gourd, yam and malabar cucumber (yellow cucumber or vellarikka).
In case you decide to serve it as a plain curry with out veggies, don’t fear. It’s jam-packed with taste and can you should definitely tantalize your tastebuds all the identical. Pleased consuming!
How ought to I put together my greens for this curry?
My private favourite greens so as to add to Moru Curry are taro root (a.ok.a. arbi), ash gourd, yam and malabar cucumber. Comply with the directions under to make these greens essentially the most flavorful:
- Taro root (arbi) – Peel and steam or prepare dinner taro roots in pan. Then calmly fry or sauté in oil. Add to the buttermilk combination.
- Ash gourd (kumbalanga): Peel, chop, boil or steam. Drain, add to the curd and coconut paste combination.
- Yam: Peel, chop, steam or boil. Pressure the water. Calmly sauté or add steamed yam on to the buttermilk combination.
- Malabar cucumber (vellarikka): Peel, take away the seeds, chop and prepare dinner in water till tender. Drain the water and add to the curd combination.
- Greens: Spinach, amaranth and drumstick leaves are some wholesome choices. You possibly can both sauté the chopped leaves in coconut oil, till they wilt and add to the yogurt combination. Or you possibly can blanch, mash after which use.
The best way to Make Moru Curry
To make my mother’s Moru Curry recipe, there are 5 steps you’ll want to finish. First, make your coconut paste.
1. Making Coconut Paste
1. Add ½ cup grated contemporary coconut, 1 teaspoon chopped inexperienced chilies (equal to 2 to three chilies) and 1 teaspoon cumin seeds in a spice grinder or blender.
2. Add four to five tablespoons water and grind to clean paste. Put aside.
three. Now you’re prepared to maneuver on to step 2, making the buttermilk combination.
2. Making Curd Combination
four. In a saucepan or pot, add 1 cup bitter curd (yogurt).
TIP: In case your curd (or yogurt) isn’t bitter tasting, hold it at room temperature for two to four hours till the style turns into bitter. The curd needs to be bitter and not rancid or spoiled. It is best to be capable to scent the distinction, with good curd smelling a bit bitter and astringent.
5. Add 1 cup water and ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder. In case you added extra water to your coconut paste, then add much less water at this step.
6. Whisk to a clean buttermilk consistency.
7. Add the bottom coconut paste from step 1.
eight. Add salt as wanted.
9. Combine buttermilk with paste and salt till properly mixed.
three. Making Moru Curry
10. Place a saucepan crammed with the buttermilk-coconut combination on the stovetop over low warmth.
11. Whisk often, each 2 to three minutes.
12. Let the combination grow to be scorching, however don’t enable it to return to a boil. If you see steam coming from the combination, take away it from the warmth. Cowl and put aside.
Boiling can curdle this delicate yogurt curry.
13. You are actually prepared to maneuver on to step three, tempering the spices.
14. Tempering is a crucial step in a lot Indian cooking. Not like the time period as it’s identified in America (which particularly refers to chocolate), tempering is all about extracting most taste from spices.
To correctly mood your spices for this Moru Curry recipe, I like to recommend utilizing coconut oil. This may supply essentially the most conventional and genuine taste to the dish.
Warmth 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a small pan over medium warmth. Add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds.
15. Let mustard seeds crackle. That is the magical a part of tempering aka tadka! The entire spices within the oil are awakening whenever you hear that crackly sound.
16. Add 10 to 12 curry leaves, 7 to eight fenugreek seeds (methi seeds) and a pair of dry crimson chilies (damaged in half with out stems and seeds eliminated).
17. Add ¼ cup sliced shallots or pearl onions and ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger.
18. Combine and start to sauté on a low warmth.
19. Sauté till onions flip gentle golden or golden.
20. Now it’s time to transfer on to step four, which can assemble these element items.
5. Assembling Moru Curry
21. Pour complete tempering combination within the cooked buttermilk, together with the oil.
22. Cowl and let the flavors infuse for a couple of minutes.
23. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve moru curry scorching or heat with steamed rice.
As Moru Curry is constructed from curd, I counsel to have it contemporary. I might positively not suggest to make it forward of time. In Indian meals tradition and practices, we at all times give emphasis on having freshly cooked meals. Meals that’s served scorching or heat after it’s cooked is nice for well being.
Oftentimes, Moru Curry is served over steamed rice and will be garnished with contemporary coriander (cilantro) leaves. I additionally love including cooked chopped greens to mine. Both manner, you’re positive to find it irresistible.
You possibly can simply substitute your individual favourite greens on this recipe. Zucchini or summer season squash would make a pleasant substitute for the ash gourd and malabar cucumber, and potato may take the place of the taro. Different greens that may work properly are pumpkins or winter squash, bell peppers or leafy greens like kale or spinach or drumstick leaves.
Actually. If you don’t benefit from the taste of coconut or are allergic, merely omit the grated coconut within the making of the paste. Merely embrace half a teaspoon every of chopped inexperienced chilies and cumin seeds within the tempering. You possibly can substitute ghee or a impartial oil for the coconut oil throughout the tadka step.
Whereas my recipe makes use of curd (yogurt) whisked with water to approximate buttermilk, you should utilize 2 cups of actual buttermilk that’s obtained from making butter.
In case you made this recipe, please you should definitely price it within the recipe card under. In case you’d like extra scrumptious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Signal Up for my electronic mail e-newsletter. It’s also possible to observe me on Instagram, Fb, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for extra vegetarian inspiration.
This scrumptious Kerala Moru Curry recipe is a favourite in our family. Strive my Mother’s well-known recipe for this conventional South Indian dish immediately.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 15 minutes
Complete Time 25 minutes
Delicacies Kerala, South Indian
Course: Essential Course
Weight-reduction plan: Gluten Free, Vegetarian
Issue Degree: Straightforward
Making coconut paste
Take grated contemporary coconut, chopped inexperienced chillies and cumin seeds in a grinder or blender.
Add water and grind to clean paste. Put aside.
Making curd combination
In a saucepan or pot, add the bitter curd (yogurt), water and turmeric powder.
Whisk to a clean consistency.
Add salt (as wanted) and floor coconut paste.
Combine till properly mixed.
Making Moru Curry
Maintain the saucepan or pot with the curd combination on stovetop on a low warmth.
Carry on stirring at intervals.
Let combination grow to be scorching. If you steam coming from the combination, swap off the warmth. Do stir at intervals. Don’t boil. Cowl and put aside.
Warmth coconut oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
Add curry leaves, fenugreek seeds and dry crimson chillies (damaged and seeds eliminated).
Add sliced pearl onions and finely chopped ginger.
Combine and start to sauté on a low warmth.
Sauté till onions flip gentle golden or golden.
Making moru curry
Pour complete tempering combination with the oil within the cooked buttermilk.
Cowl and let the flavors infuse for a couple of minutes.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves (elective) and serve scorching or heat with steamed rice.
- Bitter curd: Add buttermilk, ideally bitter.
- Veggies: Be at liberty to serve with cooked greens. I like yam, taro root, ash gourd and malabar cucumber. You possibly can add greens like spinach, amaranth or drumstick leaves.
- Coconut oil: The genuine recipe requires coconut oil, however you possibly can attempt making moru curry with any impartial tasting oil or use ghee (clarified butter).
- Coconut: Desiccated coconut (unsweetened) can be utilized in a pinch. Make certain to soak the desiccated coconut flakes in heat water for 20 minutes earlier than making the paste. Coconut will be skipped too. Merely gently warmth via the buttermilk after which add the fried tempering substances. Embrace half a teaspoon every of cumin seeds and chopped inexperienced chillies within the tempering.
Moru Curry (Yogurt Curry)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 192 Energy from Fats 144
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 13g81%
Ldl cholesterol 8mgthree%
Vitamin A 221IUfour%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 29mg145%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 54mg65%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 301µg75%
* P.c Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
Like our movies? Then do observe and subscribe to us on youtube to get the newest Recipe Video updates.
All our content material & photographs are copyright protected. Please don’t copy. As a blogger, if you happen to you need to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your individual phrases and provides a clickable hyperlink again to the recipe on this url.