Jeera Aloo is a vibrantly spiced aspect dish that’s as satisfying to eat as it’s straightforward to organize. This traditional potato recipe is loaded with cumin and recent herbs, and is of course gluten-free and vegan. Strive it for a wholesome and comforting lunch or as an addition to your favourite dinner dishes!
About this recipe
Jeera aloo is Hindi for “cumin potatoes,” which is about essentially the most excellent title for this deliciously spice-ful dish.
A number of earthy, wealthy cumin seeds are the muse on this recipe. They’re complimented with inexperienced chilies, turmeric, chili powder and lemon juice, and all collectively create a implausible mix of daring and tangy flavors. Each chunk of tender potato tastes so heat and comforting!
You may as well add a little bit of recent minced ginger, in the event you like, for much more spice. And though I don’t embrace garlic or onion right here, be happy so as to add them once you do this straightforward recipe for your self.
Jeera aloo is prepared in lower than 30 minutes from begin to end. Entire potatoes are boiled with the skins on, then cooled, peeled and chopped, and sautéed with spices. It’s nice for making as a filling and wholesome lunch, or hearty aspect for any variety of most important dinner dishes.
Under you’ll discover my step-by-step photographs and directions for making the very best jeera aloo, plus yummy serving concepts!
The best way to Make Jeera Aloo
Cooking the Potatoes
1. First, scrub and rinse 5 to six medium-sized potatoes (500 grams) in water.
2. Boil or steam the potatoes together with ½ teaspoon salt in a stove-top strain cooker, Immediate pot or a pan, till they’re tender and cooked nicely. Don’t overcook or they’ll develop into mushy!
a) In a stove-top strain cooker: Place the potatoes and add sufficient water which nearly covers the potatoes in a three or four litre strain cooker. Strain cook dinner on medium-heat for 7 to 9 minutes.
b) In a pan or pot: Peel, and chop the potatoes in small cubes. Chopping will make them cook dinner quicker in a pan. Add water sufficient to cowl the potatoes. Sprinkle salt. Cowl and simmer on a low to medium-low warmth till the potatoes are fork tender. Drain all of the water and put aside.
c) Within the Immediate Pot: Place a trivet within the metal insert of a 6 quart IP. Hold the potatoes on prime of the trivet. In the event you wouldn’t have a trivet, you should use a steaming pan which inserts within the IP. Strain cook dinner for 20 to 25 minutes on excessive strain.
three. For the stovetop strain cooker, wait till all of the strain falls within the cooker after which take away the lid.
For the Immediate Pot, do a fast strain launch (QPR) after 5 to 7 minutes.
The potatoes must be simply cooked till barely fork-tender. You need them to nonetheless be agency sufficient to face up to extra cooking in a skillet subsequent.
four. As soon as they’re cool sufficient to the touch, peel the skins and chop the potatoes into bite-sized cubes.
5. Subsequent I like to recommend that you just go forward and measure out all the components you’ll want per the recipe beneath. A little bit of prep work forward of time will make cooking the jeera aloo a lot simpler!
Making Jeera Aloo
6. Now it’s time to make the aloo jeera. Firstly, warmth three tablespoons of oil in a big skillet over medium to medium-high warmth.
7. Cut back the warmth and to the new oil add three teaspoons cumin seeds (jeera) and allow them to crackle for just a few seconds as you constantly stir. They need to brown however not burn, so be sure you hold them shifting.
eight. As soon as the cumin seeds crackle and alter colour, then add 2 to three finely chopped inexperienced chilies (1 to 1.5 teaspoons finely chopped inexperienced chillies or serrano peppers).
9. Stir nicely to mix the chilies and cumin seeds.
10. Subsequent, add the boiled potato cubes to the pan.
11. Combine collectively in order that the potato cubes are evenly coated with the cracked cumin seeds and inexperienced chilies.
12. Sprinkle the potatoes with ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon of purple chili powder, 1 pinch asafetida (elective) and salt to style.
13. Saute the potatoes for two to three minutes on low to medium-low warmth, stirring typically to maintain the potatoes from sticking and overcooking. The odor of the seasonings collectively is totally wonderful!
14. Subsequent add 2 to three teaspoons of lemon juice, relying on how a lot bitter taste you want. Begin with 1 teaspoon, and style as you add a bit extra of the lemon juice at a time to achieve simply the fitting degree of tanginess.
The brightness from the lemon actually brings the flavors within the dish collectively. three teaspoons of lemon juice makes the dish properly tangy and in the event you love tangy meals, you’ll prefer it.
If you’re not a fan of tangy or bitter meals, then add 1 to 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
15. Lastly, add ¼ cup of chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves.
16. Gently combine the coriander into the jeera aloo, and switch off the warmth.
What are the very best potatoes to make use of for making jeera aloo?
There are a number of completely different potatoes that work nicely for this recipe. Yukon gold (yellow potatoes), purple skinned potatoes, child potatoes, and russet potatoes are all well-suited for Indian cooking.
What else can I take advantage of as an alternative of lemon juice?
If lemon juice isn’t obtainable you should use dry mango powder (amchur powder) or dry pomegranate powder (anardana powder) to get the stunning bitter word.
How can I make aloo jeera with out boiling the potatoes?
If you don’t want to boil the potatoes, then observe these steps.
- Fry the cumin seeds and inexperienced chillies within the oil as I’ve defined above within the step-by-step information.
- Add potato cubes (rinsed, peeled and ideally lower in zero.5 to 1 inch cubes). Combine after which add the spice powders and salt.
- Cowl the skillet or pan tightly and cook dinner the potatoes till tender on a low to medium-low warmth. If they begin sticking to the pan, add some splashes of water. Combine, cowl and proceed to cook dinner till potatoes are tender.
- End with the coriander leaves and lemon juice.
In the event you made this recipe, please be sure you fee it within the recipe card beneath. In the event you’d like extra scrumptious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Signal Up for my electronic mail publication. You may as well observe me on Instagram, Fb, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for extra vegetarian inspiration.
Potatoes spiced with cumin and herbs.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook dinner Time 10 minutes
Complete Time 10 minutes
Delicacies North Indian
Course: Aspect Dish
Food regimen: Vegan, Vegetarian
Issue Degree: Straightforward
Rinse potatoes a few instances in water.
If strain cooking then add sufficient water which nearly covers the potatoes. Add about ½ teaspoon salt. Then strain cook dinner for 7 to 9 minutes on medium warmth.
You possibly can even boil or steam the potatoes with ½ teaspoon salt in pan, till they’re cooked nicely. the potatoes must be simply cooked. They shouldn’t be crumbly.
When the potatoes develop into heat or calm down, then peel them and lower into small cubes.
Making jeera aloo
In a pan, warmth oil on medium flame. Let the oil develop into scorching.
Add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle within the oil.
Now add chopped inexperienced chillies and blend very nicely.
Add the potato cubes. Combine them with the cumin seeds and inexperienced chilies.
Sprinkle turmeric powder, purple chili powder and salt as required.
Saute the potatoes for two to three minutes on low to medium flame stirring typically.
Subsequent add ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice.
Combine the entire combination nicely. Then swap off the warmth.
Serve jeera aloo scorching with phulka, poori or paratha or bread.
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 86 Energy from Fats 81
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Vitamin A 129IUthree%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 3mgfour%
Vitamin E 4mg27%
Vitamin Ok 3µgthree%
* P.c Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
Like our movies? Then do observe and subscribe to us on youtube to get the most recent Recipe Video updates.
All our content material & photographs are copyright protected. Please don’t copy. As a blogger, in the event you you need to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your individual phrases and provides a clickable hyperlink again to the recipe on this url.
This jeera aloo recipe put up from the archives (September 2011) has been republished and up to date with higher photographs and FAQs on 13 December 2020.