Poori or Puri is a standard Indian fried bread that’s scrumptious to take pleasure in with nearly any most important dish. It’s a easy unleavened bread made out of simply entire wheat flour, salt, and water. Right here I share my poori recipe with step-by-step pictures and the very best suggestions for making puri from scratch at residence – crispy, fluffy, and mushy and I guess you’ll love making home made puri to take pleasure in together with your favourite meals!
A primary poori recipe is made with entire wheat flour, salt, and water. These are solely three components you want. A little bit of oil or ghee may be added to the entire wheat dough optionally. The dough shouldn’t be leavened or fermented, so it’s a splendidly fast and straightforward bread to make.
Small balls of dough are rolled and flattened, and rapidly fried in scorching oil. The poori puffs as much as create mild, crispy pillows that simply beg to be bitten into. Inside is mushy and tender, and excellent for utilizing to scoop up a hearty curry.
Make a batch of this poori recipe for a snack now or on your dinner tonight, then have leftovers with breakfast within the morning. There’s by no means a mistaken time to take pleasure in mushy and crispy poori!
The way to Make Poori
Selfmade puri solely takes about 40 minutes to make from begin to end. Make sure you learn your complete poori recipe, together with my Ideas for the Finest puri beneath earlier than you get began!
Making the Dough
1. First, combine collectively three cups entire wheat flour (360 grams), 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon oil (optionally available) in a big bowl. For extra crispy puri, you possibly can add ¼ cup nice rava (sooji or semolina).
2. Add only a little bit of water at a time as you start to kind the dough, ensuring to not oversaturate the combination.
three. Knead the dough with a picket spoon or your arms, or use a standing mixer Once more, add solely a splash or two of water at a time as you’re employed.
four. Proceed to knead till you kind a stiff, tight dough. It mustn’t be mushy like a roti or a bread loaf. You may add about ¾ to 1 cup of water in whole.
Cowl the bowl with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap, and let the dough relaxation for 20 to 30 minutes at room temperature.
5. When prepared to make use of, divide the dough into about 30 small or 25 medium items, and roll every into a good ball.
6. Subsequent, use the palm of your hand to frivolously flatten the dough ball, after which apply a little bit of oil to your complete floor. This helps the bread fry evenly and rise correctly, with out the necessity to mud with flour first (which runs the danger of making burnt flour particles in your oil).
7. Use a rolling pin to roll the poori dough evenly into circles that aren’t too thick or too skinny. Ideally, you need them to be about ¼ inch thick.
eight. Then place the rolled poori on a plate, and loosely cowl with a clear kitchen towel in order that they don’t dry out.
Whereas it’s straightforward to fry puri at residence, it does take a mild contact. As a result of they should puff up you need to be additional cautious to not crack them, in any other case oil will seep into the dough because it cooks and get soggy.
Observe these easy steps for ensuring you fry good puri each time:
9. First, warmth oil in a deep pan (kadai). Check the oil by dropping a small dough ball into oil. If it rises rapidly to the highest, then the oil is scorching sufficient for frying.
Upon getting the oil to the fitting temperature, fastidiously add one puri at a time.
10. It ought to start to puff up nearly instantly after it hits the recent oil.
11. Give it a nudge with a slotted spoon or spider spoon to maintain the puri transferring and due to this fact cooking evenly.
12. Gently press and nudge the puri on the edges with a slotted spoon or spider spoon to assist it puff up utterly.
13. Proceed to fry for only a minute or two, till the oil stops effervescent and the underside of the puri is golden to your liking.
14. Subsequent, flip over the poori and gently press down with the slotted spoon because it fries for just a few extra seconds. This can make sure that there’s a beautiful brown shade on all sides.
15. Then switch the fried puri to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up any extra oil.
Fry the remaining poori this fashion, decreasing or rising the oil temperature as wanted to take care of the fitting stage of warmth. Extremely popular oil will darken the colour or there could also be uneven shade patches on the puri.
Having fun with Selfmade Poori
16. Serve poori scorching with any variety of candy or savory dishes, as I’ve talked about beneath. Or take pleasure in by themselves for a tasty snack!
To maintain puri mushy for just a few hours, stack them in a metal container, sealing with a lid at room temperature. They’ll stay mushy and received’t change into dense and chewy.
Leftovers may be saved in closed container at room temperature for as much as 1 day. As a result of they may lose their crispy exterior, I counsel to rewarm you both bake for just some minutes within the oven.
Poori is a standard facet in Indian delicacies and is usually served with a dry or curried potato dish. Crispy fried poori and this saucy, vibrant Potato Curry are an ideal mixture! Collectively they make a splendidly comforting and scrumptious meal that occurs to be vegetarian and vegan-friendly.
Not solely do puri go effectively with savory dishes, they are often paired with candy breakfasts and desserts. Sooji Halwa is a breakfast staple that’s sweetened with sugar. A seasonal Indian favourite is Aamras (mango pulp) that tastes so good with puri. An ideal dessert to take pleasure in with fried poori is Shrikhand, made with greek yogurt/hung curd and flavored with saffron and cardamom.
In addition they may be rapidly made as a facet for a filling lunch together with curry leftovers and/or a easy sautéed veggie dish (sabzi).
Different Recipes that Go Effectively with Poori
- Chana Masala – The traditional North Indian curry made with white chickpeas, onions, tomatoes, and spices.
- Veg Kurma – Additionally known as korma, a saucy blended vegetable dish with coconut, spices and herbs.
- Kadala Curry – Made with black chickpeas, coconut, and plenty of spices.
- Aloo Gobi – A traditional facet dish that includes spiced cauliflower and potatoes.
- Aloo Chole – This very filling breakfast dish consists of potatoes and chickpeas.
- Jeera Aloo – A easy facet of boiled and sauteed potatoes with cumin, lemon, and coriander leaves.
There are so many unbelievable variations of poori breads, listed below are just some for you strive:
- Masaledar Poori – Spiced puri recipe which is often known as Teekhi Poori.
- Luchi – Within the Bengal area, a well-liked variation of poori recipe with all-purpose flour (maida) is made and often served with Bengali Dum Aloo.
- Mangalore Buns – Candy banana poori.
- Palak Puri Recipe – With palak puree added to the dough making for a green-colored puri.
- Beetroot Poori Recipe – With Beetroot puree added to the dough giving a vibrant crimson crimson shade poori.
- Rice Puri Recipe – Comfortable puri made with rice flour makes for gluten-free puri recipe.
- Potato puri recipe – Poori stuffed or blended with spiced mashed potatoes.
- Candy poori recipe – Made with sugar or jaggery are often known as Meethi puri.
- Poori recipe made with grated greens or pureed greens.
- Dough texture: Ensure your dough is good and tight as a result of a mushy dough won’t maintain its form as effectively when frying. Add a sprinkle of flour to the dough whereas kneading for those who discover it feeling too squishy and unfastened.
- Rolling: Together with including a little bit of oil to the flattened dough ball, you possibly can frivolously grease the rolling pin with oil to assist preserve it from sticking to the dough. Once more, you don’t wish to mud with flour as a result of these particles will burn within the scorching oil.
- Frying: It is rather essential that the oil is precisely on the proper temperature. If the oil is simply too scorching the poori will burn. Nevertheless, if the oil is chilly they may change into soggy in the course of the cooking course of. Frying oil must be between 360-375 levels Fahrenheit, or 180-190 levels Celsius. The poori ought to puff whereas frying. If not, then one thing has gone mistaken. Both the dough has not been kneaded effectively, the poori has not been rolled out evenly, or the oil shouldn’t be scorching sufficient.
- Digestion: Fried meals have you ever feeling a bit heavy? Add ajwain seeds (carom seeds) to the flour earlier than kneading! Carom seeds (ajwain) are very useful in digestion, and add a beautiful mild taste to the puri.
- Crispy texture: For a crispier poori, you possibly can add ¼ cup nice suji (rava or semolina flour) to the dough.
The way to verify if the temperature of oil is right?
For deep frying, the temperature of the oil must be 180 levels Celsius to 190 levels Celsius (360 levels Fahrenheit to 375 levels Fahrenheit) and you’ll simply measure it with a deep fry or sweet thermometer.
Should you shouldn’t have a thermometer, you possibly can verify the temperature utilizing these following three strategies:
- Firstly, place a small piece of dough within the scorching oil. If it rises to the highest steadily and begins to bubble on the floor, the oil is prepared. If it rises slowly or remains to be on the backside, then the oil is chilly and if it rises too quick or briskly, then the oil could be very scorching.
- Secondly, you possibly can drop a small dice of bread within the oil. If it turns into golden brown in a timeframe of about 60 seconds, the temperature is correct. If it stays pale, the oil would want extra time to warmth up. If the bread turns into very darkish or burnt, the oil is simply too scorching and must be cooled a bit.
- Thirdly, drop a kernel of popcorn within the scorching oil. The popcorn will pop at about 180 levels Celsius (360 levels Fahrenheit). As soon as the kernel pops that might be the appropriate temperature to start frying.
Puri turns into arduous if it doesn’t puff up within the scorching oil when frying. The explanation for Puri not puffing up is as a result of the dough shouldn’t be rolled evenly. The dough stays flattened and turns into arduous whereas frying.
Frying at low temperature of the oil will make poori soak up extra oil and it turns into soggy. If the poori cracks when frying, oil will seep into it making it oily.
It’s best to make use of oil having a excessive smoke level. I might counsel to make use of peanut oil, sunflower oil, vegetable oil, avocado oil or grape seed oil.
Puri is a deep fried meals. Thus finest indulged often and never on a regular basis, relying upon your well being and physique structure. It’s best to make use of contemporary oil for frying. By no means use reused oil as this can be very unhealthy.
Utilizing a deep fryer shouldn’t be appropriate for frying poori. The Indian kadai (just like a wok) with its open and broad floor is the very best utensil to fry poori. The open floor of the kadai helps the poori to rise, increase, and puff up simply in scorching oil.
Firstly it’s a must to knead the dough very effectively. Then roll the dough balls evenly to the identical thickness of about ¼ inch throughout. Don’t make the discs too skinny or thick. The oil must be scorching sufficient when frying. You may fry at a medium to medium-high warmth.
Whereas rolling, the poori must be rolled to a fair thickness of about ¼ inch in a neat spherical form. When frying the oil must be medium scorching that if you place the poori within the scorching oil, it is going to come up on the floor after which begin puffing up. Gently nudging with a spider spoon or a slotted spoon helps poori to puff up effectively.
Despite the fact that each the roti and puri dough are made with the identical components – flour, water, salt. The distinction is within the texture and consistency of the dough. A roti or chapati dough is mushy and a poori dough is just a little agency and tight.
Should you made this recipe, please you’ll want to charge it within the recipe card beneath. Should you’d like extra scrumptious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Signal Up for my electronic mail publication. You can too comply with me on Instagram, Fb, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for extra vegetarian inspiration.
Crisp, golden, fluffy and mushy poori made with entire wheat flour, salt and water.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook dinner Time 30 minutes
Complete Time 40 minutes
Weight loss plan: Vegan, Vegetarian
Problem Stage: Reasonable
Servings 30 puri
In a mixing bowl or in your work-surface, take the entire wheat flour, salt and oil or melted ghee.
Add little water at a time and knead effectively to kind a dough. The dough shouldn’t be mushy however stiff and tight. You can too make a semi-soft dough.
Assembling and rolling
Divide the dough into small or medium items – about 25 to 30
Make into medium sized or barely small balls.
Unfold a little bit of oil on each side of the dough ball. Spreading oil and never dusting with flour helps the oil to remain clear and also you received’t see darkish burnt flour particles contained in the oil.
Roll the dough evenly into circles of about ¼ inch – neither too skinny nor thick.
Place the rolled poori in a plate and canopy with a clear kitchen towel, in order that they don’t dry up.
Warmth oil in a deep frying pan or kadai.
When the oil is sufficiently scorching then add one poori at a time and fry gently urgent down with the frying spoon or slotted spoon in a round movement.
Flip over when overrated and fry until golden brown.
Serve poori scorching with a vegetable curry like korma or candy dishes like suji ka halwa or aamras or potato curry.
- Poori Dough: Ensure the puri dough is tight and agency as a mushy dough won’t maintain its form when frying. Add a sprinkle of flour to the dough whereas kneading for those who discover it feeling too unfastened.
- Rolling: Together with including a little bit of oil to the flattened dough ball, you possibly can frivolously grease the rolling pin with oil to assist preserve it from sticking to the dough. Once more, don’t mud with flour as a result of these particles will burn within the scorching oil.
- Frying: It is rather essential that the oil is precisely on the proper temperature. If the oil is simply too scorching the puri will burn. Nevertheless, if the oil is chilly they may change into soggy. Frying oil must be between 360 to 375 levels Fahrenheit or 180 to 190 levels Celsius. The poori ought to puff whereas frying. If not, then both the dough has not been kneaded effectively, the poori has not been rolled out evenly, or the oil shouldn’t be scorching sufficient.
- Digestion: Add ajwain seeds (carom seeds) to the dough as they’re very useful in digestion, and add a beautiful mild aroma to the puri.
- Crispy puri: For a crispier texture, add ¼ cup nice suji (rava or semolina flour) to the dough.
Poori Recipe | Puri
Quantity Per Serving (1 poori)
Energy 90 Energy from Fats 54
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin E 2mg13%
Vitamin Ok 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 5µg1%
* P.c Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
Like our movies? Then do comply with and subscribe to us on youtube to get the newest Recipe Video updates.
All our content material & pictures are copyright protected. Please don’t copy. As a blogger, for those who you wish to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your personal phrases and provides a clickable hyperlink again to the recipe on this url.
This recipe publish is from the archives (April 2014) and has been republished and up to date on 10 December 2020 with newer pictures, my professional suggestions and FAQs.