Flaky and tender fried samosa are one of the crucial widespread recipes in North Indian delicacies. They characteristic a pastry-like crust however are stuffed with savory potatoes and peas for a hearty, scrumptious snack. This step-by-step information will assist you to make the flakiest, tastiest, completely greatest Punjabi samosa from scratch!
What makes this the greatest do-it-yourself samosa recipe? My foolproof directions will assure that your potatoes and peas samosa are hearty with a wonderfully flaky, crispy crust.
I take advantage of a bit much less water than another recipes to make my dough, which creates an ever flakier and crave-able samosa crust. (That is additionally the trick I take advantage of to make samosa pie, which is a good non-fried different to conventional samosa.)
Plus, the filling in these Greatest Punjabi Samosa is simply improbable. It’s tremendous straightforward to arrange in a stovetop strain cooker or utilizing an On the spot Pot and in a pan on the range. Inexperienced peas and potatoes are blended with basic Indian spices for a heat, satisfying stuffing that may hold you wanting extra.
With an ideal crust and comforting filling, this recipe is an actual winner! Give it a attempt to you’ll be amazed at how easy and enjoyable it’s to make samosa from scratch at house.
Our private favourite is and can at all times be a Punjabi samosa which is what this recipe is all about. The basic potato and inexperienced peas stuffing on this recipe is customized from my cooking college notes.
I’ve additionally made a video which reveals the shaping, stuffing and deep frying the samosa. You’ll be able to take a look on the video within the recipe card under, if the images don’t assist.
Beneath is my full step-by-step information with images for making one of the best Punjabi samosa from scratch.
You begin by making the savory filling and pastry dough. Then assemble the samosa, fry, and luxuriate in together with your favourite dipping sauces and chutneys!
1. Step one to do-it-yourself samosa is to prepare dinner the potatoes and peas for the filling.
2. For the stovetop strain cooker, take away the lid after all of the strain falls within the cooker. For the On the spot Pot, do a fast strain launch after 5 to 7 minutes. Examine with a knife or fork to see if the potatoes are cooked properly.
The knife or fork ought to have the ability to slide by way of simply if the potatoes are cooked correctly.
If the potatoes are undercooked, then prepare dinner them for a number of extra minutes utilizing the strain prepare dinner operate. As soon as executed, drain the potatoes and peas in a colander and put aside to chill.
Three. Subsequent, toast the spices. It will assist to launch their flavors and shouldn’t be skipped!
To a small frying pan over low warmth add ½ inch cinnamon stick, 1 clove (non-compulsory), 1 inexperienced cardamom, Three black peppercorns, ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, ½ teaspoon fennel seeds and a couple of teaspoon coriander seeds.
Warmth the spices for only a few minutes till fragrant, being cautious to not burn.
four. Take away the spices from the warmth and permit to chill utterly. Then, put them in a spice grinder or small mixer-grinder jar.
5. Grind the toasted spices to a semi-fine powder, and put aside.
6. Peel the pores and skin off of the cooked potatoes, and chop them in ½ to 1 inch cubes.
7. In a small skillet, warmth 1 tablespoon oil and crackle ½ teaspoon cumin seeds till aromatic. I used mustard oil because it actually add a punch within the stuffing. You should utilize a impartial oil like sunflower oil, safflower oil, grapeseed oil or canola oil.
eight. Hold the warmth on low and add 1 teaspoon finely chopped or minced ginger and a couple of teaspoons finely chopped inexperienced chillies. Sauté for a number of seconds till the uncooked aroma of ginger goes away.
9. Now you may change off the flame or hold flame to a low. Then add the cooked inexperienced peas, ½ teaspoon kashmiri pink chilli powder, 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing), the dry floor spice combine that we made and 1 to 2 teaspoons dry mango powder (amchur).
The mango powder is what provides the samosa filling its signature tangy taste that balances so properly with the savory, spicy flavors of the opposite stuffing components.
10. Stir collectively and sauté for a minute. You’ll be able to add much less or extra dry mango powder relying upon private style. I added 2 teaspoons as simply 1 teaspoon was not fairly sufficient bitter taste for me.
11. Subsequent add potato cubes, salt as required and 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (often known as cilantro) to the skillet.
12. Combine very properly and sauté for a minute. Examine the style, and add extra of the spices, salt or dry mango powder if wanted. Cowl and set the filling apart when you make the dough.
13. In a big mixing bowl mix 2 cups all-purpose flour (250 grams), 1 teaspoon carom seeds, 1 teaspoon salt and 6 tablespoons ghee (50 grams).
14. Together with your fingers, combine the components collectively till they make a breadcrumb-like texture that holds its form whenever you press a portion of the combination.
15. Then, working only a bit at a time, add in 7 tablespoons water in elements and knead. You’ll be able to add 1 to 2 tablespoons additional water if wanted if the dough seems to be dry.
16. Proceed kneading to type a agency, tight dough. It shouldn’t be delicate or sticky. Cowl the samosa dough with a moist kitchen towel and let relaxation for 30 minutes.
17. After the dough has rested, divide it into 6 to 7 even items. Take every bit and gently roll in your palms first to easy and soften. Place it in your work floor or on the rolling board.
18. Then roll it with a rolling pin, being aware to maintain the thickness even at 1mm and never too skinny.
19. Minimize the with a knife or a pastry cutter, proper by way of the middle of the samosa pastry.
20. Use a rolling pin to softly flatten the half moon form to make even.
21. Use a pastry brush to calmly brush the samosa dough with water round the entire edges.
22. Subsequent, fold to affix the straight edged facet collectively to type a cone, like proven within the picture under. Make sure to press the sides properly in order that they’re sealed!
The samosa cone is now able to be filled with the potato and pea filling.
23. Fastidiously spoon and calmly pack the ready potato and pea stuffing into the samosa cone. Be certain to not over or under-fill to forestall the samosa from bursting in the course of the frying course of.
24. Crimp and pinch the sides to shut as proven in picture under. This helps the samosa to face as soon as made.
25. Evenly press the entire edges, ensuring there are not any cracks within the dough. The sides needs to be sealed very properly in order that the stuffing doesn’t come out whereas frying.
Put together all of the samosa this manner as described above, and canopy with a moist kitchen serviette to maintain the samosa from drying out.
The ultimate step to creating one of the best Punjabi samosa from scratch is to fry them to a completely crisp golden brown.
26. Warmth the oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan. Check the oil by including a small piece of dough – it ought to come up rapidly if the oil is scorching sufficient for frying.
As soon as the oil turns into scorching, gently slide Three to four of the ready stuffed samosa into the oil, after which instantly cut back the flame to low. Don’t overcrowd the pan to make sure every samosa fries evenly!
27. Fry the samosa on a low to medium-low warmth, keeping track of them so that they don’t burn.
28. When one facet is pale golden, use tongs or a slotted spoon or skimmer to softly flip the samosa over and proceed frying.
29. Fry till every samosa is crisp and golden. The oil will cease scorching as soon as the samosa are fried properly.
30. Use a skimmer to rigorously take away fried samosa from the oil, and place them on paper towels to take away additional oil. Repeat the frying steps with the remaining samosa.
31. Serve Punjabi samosa scorching or heat or at room temperature with coriander chutney or tamarind chutney, or with a zesty tomato sauce. The combo of samosa with masala chai is irresistible and far beloved.
There are numerous variations in a samosa stuffing relying on the area and state in India.
So that you have to be questioning what needs to be the proper proportions of components within the pastry dough and the right frying methodology – to get that flaky and crispy crust. I break it down for you intimately.
The quantity of fats which we additionally name as “moyen or moyan” in Hindi needs to be within the right proportion in a samosa pastry dough. One among my culinary knowledgeable pal at all times suggests so as to add ⅕ of fats to 1 a part of flour in weight.
Instance: If you happen to use 1 kilogram of flour, then you must add 200 grams of fats. On this samosa recipe, I’ve stored the identical ⅕ proportion of fats – which is 50 grams for 250 grams of flour.
A samosa crust dough needs to be kneaded to a decent and agency dough. The dough shouldn’t be delicate like a bread or roti dough. Therefore much less water is added when kneading the dough. The quantity of water to be added is determined by the standard of the flour. So take into account so as to add water in elements whereas kneading.
It’s important to roll the crust evenly holding 1mm thickness throughout. Don’t roll the crust too thick. A thick crust will take up loads of frying time leading to a tough texture.
Don’t roll the dough too skinny. It received’t have the ability to comprise the potato stuffing and burst in oil. So keep in mind these factors whereas rolling the dough.
There are two frying strategies for that good crispy flaky crust in a samosa.
On this methodology, first the oil is heated to a excessive temperature. Then the samosa are added within the scorching oil. As quickly because the samosa are positioned within the scorching oil, the flame is lowered to a low after which the samosa are fried on a low warmth.
This ensures that they don’t take up an excessive amount of oil. If you happen to immediately put the samosa on a low temperature oil and fry in sim, then it’s going to take up an excessive amount of oil. If you happen to fry in scorching oil, then there are possibilities of tiny air bubble pockets forming exterior. The insides are additionally undercooked when fried in extremely scorching oil.
It is a little prolonged methodology and the one which I’ll counsel you to strive whereas making samosa at house if in case you have time. On this methodology initially the samosa are very calmly fried not permitting them to develop into golden – simply that the dough cooks properly.
Add the samosa in scorching oil and take away them when the crust has develop into opaque and creamish white. They need to be nearly calmly fried that if you happen to take away them from oil then they won’t break. Set them apart.
Later decrease the warmth and once more fry the calmly fried samosa till they’re golden.
With each the strategies, the ultimate samosa will likely be crisp & flaky from exterior and cooked properly from inside – just like the one you get within the markets and there will likely be no air pockets on the crust.
When you have an air fryer then do strive making samosa in it. You may be pleasantly shocked with the feel of the air fried samosa. They do style much like the fried samosa, minus the additional oil. For air-frying, preheat air fryer at 180 levels celsius for 10 minutes. Brush samosa with oil and air fry at 180 levels celsius until the samosa are golden.
I’ve compiled under solutions to questions based mostly on the queries requested by readers within the feedback.
Sure, you are able to do that. In truth many Indian recipes that use (all function flour) could be simply made with complete wheat flour. Simply keep in mind so as to add extra water whereas kneading as complete wheat flour absorbs extra water.
You’ll be able to freeze the samosa. Both form them after which freeze or you may first fry them until the crust turns into opaque after which freeze them. This fashion the samosa will keep higher for an extended time. Earlier than frying, let the samosa come to room temperature after which fry. If fried when they’re nonetheless chilly, then they take up extra oil.
A couple of air pockets are nice, however the samosa shouldn’t be lined with numerous air pockets. If the samosa dough is delicate, then the air pockets happen on the crust. An excessive amount of moisture within the dough makes the crust delicate in addition to provides it loads of air pockets. Whereas frying, if the oil is simply too scorching, air pockets seem on the crust.
If utilizing puff pastry sheets, then bake samosa. You’ll be able to even air fry.
For spring roll wrappers, you may both fry or bake them.
With phyllo dough sheets bake the samosa.
Normally in an genuine Punjabi samosa, onions and garlic are by no means added. However we are able to at all times make our personal variations and be artistic. So you may add onions and garlic if you happen to favor.
Samosa can develop into delicate as a result of two causes. Both the dough is delicate or the oil is at a too low temperature whereas frying. If you knead the dough, be sure that dough is tight and stiff. It shouldn’t be delicate like roti dough.
The primary methodology is to slit the inexperienced chillies holding them complete. Shallow fry or deep fry them until you see a number of mild golden blisters on them. Later sprinkle some salt on the fried inexperienced chilies and blend. You too can sprinkle some chaat masala or amchur powder.
The second methodology is to stuff a mix of amchur powder (dry mango powder) and salt in slit inexperienced chilies. Shallow fry them after which serve.
You’ll be able to simply retailer it for a few hours at room temperature. If you happen to don’t plan to eat them in any respect, then retailer them in an air-tight field (dabba) within the fridge. When serving you may heat them on a tawa or in an oven.
You’ll be able to heat it on a tawa (griddle) or oven (at 120 levels celsius in a preheated oven) and have them with bread, pav (dinner rolls) or roti.
Sure. To make a vegan samosa, use a impartial tasting oil as a substitute of ghee (clarified butter) whereas making the dough crust.
Sure after all you may air-fry samosa. Please do learn the air-frying half I’ve described above.
Sure positively. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 levels celsius for 30 to 35 minutes till the crust turns into crisp and golden.
If you happen to made this recipe, please you’ll want to price it within the recipe card under. If you need extra scrumptious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Signal Up for my e mail e-newsletter.
Samosa is a basic and widespread Indian snack filled with spiced potato peas filling.
Prep Time 45 minutes
Cook dinner Time 45 minutes
Whole Time 1 hr 30 minutes
Delicacies North Indian, Punjabi
Course: Snacks, Starters
Food regimen: Vegetarian
Problem Stage: Average
Servings 12 samosa
Take the flour, carom seeds, salt in a bowl. Combine properly and add ghee or oil.
Together with your fingertips rub the ghee or oil within the flour to get a breadcrumb like consistency.
The entire combination ought to clamp collectively when joined.
Add 1 or 2 tbsp water. start to knead including water as required.
Knead to a agency dough. Cowl the dough with a moistened serviette and hold apart for 30-40 minutes.
Steam or boil the potatoes and peas until are cooked utterly.
Peel the boiled potatoes and chop them into small cubes
Dry roast all the entire spices talked about within the above checklist until aromatic.
As soon as cooled, grind them in a dry grinder or espresso grinder to a nice powder.
Warmth oil in a pan. add the cumin seeds and crackle them.
Add the ginger-green chili paste. saute until the uncooked aroma of ginger goes away.
Add the peas, pink chili powder, the freshly floor spice powder and asafoetida.
Stir and saute on a low flame for 1-2 minutes
Add the potato cubes and saute for 2-Three minutes with frequent stirring.
Hold the filling apart to chill.
After holding the dough for 30-40 minutes. Knead the dough calmly once more.
Divided the dough 6 equal items.
Take every bit and roll in your palms first to make a easy ball.
Then roll it with a rolling pin holding the thickness neither skinny nor thick.
Minimize with a knife or a pastry cutter by way of the middle of the samosa pastry.
With a brush or together with your finger suggestions, on the straight fringe of the sliced pastry, apply some water.
Be a part of the 2 ends bringing the watered edge on prime of the plain edge.
Press the sides in order that they get sealed properly.
Stuff the ready samosa cone with the ready potato-peas stuffing.
Apply some water together with your fingertips or brush on the spherical samosa cone circumference.
Pinch an element on the sting (examine the video & pics). This helps the samosa to face.
Press each the sides. Ensure there are not any cracks.
Put together all of the samosa this manner and hold lined with a moist kitchen serviette.
Now warmth oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan. As soon as the oil turns into scorching (take a look at by including a small piece of dough – it ought to come up rapidly as soon as added to the recent oil) gently slide the ready stuffed samosa & rapidly cut back the flame to low.
You too can fry the samosa twice as I’ve talked about above within the publish.
Flip over in between and fry until golden. Drain the fried samosa on paper towels to take away extra oil.
Fry them in batches. For frying the second batch, once more improve the temperature of the oil.
Add the samosa after which decrease the flame, thereby reducing the temperature of oil.
This fashion fry all of the samosa in batches.
Serve them scorching or heat with coriander chutney, saunth (tamarind chutney), tamarind-dates chutney or tomato sauce.
They may also be served with a yogurt dip or plain raita. One other manner is to serve it with punjabi chole (a spiced chickpea curry).
A chaat may also be made with it. We normally have samosa with masala chai or ginger chai.
Even bread or pav (indian bread rolls) could be served with it.
No matter you serve samosa with, keep in mind to have scorching masala chai alongside.
Samosa Recipe (The BEST!)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 173 Energy from Fats 90
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 3g19%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 1g
Ldl cholesterol 11mgfour%
Vitamin A 84IU2%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 4mg5%
Vitamin E 2mg13%
Vitamin Okay 3µgThree%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 44µg11%
* P.c Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
Like our movies? Then do comply with and subscribe to us on youtube to get the newest Recipe Video updates.
All our content material & images are copyright protected. Please don’t copy. As a blogger, if you happen to you need to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your personal phrases and provides a clickable hyperlink again to the recipe on this url.
This recipe publish from the archives (November 2013) has been republished and up to date on 13 November 2020.
A favourite within the American South, tomato pie is a thrifty and scrumptious casserole model dish wrapped up in a…
Once we say decrease stress ranges to burn fats and break the cycle of weight acquire, it’s attributable to the…
This straightforward avocado shake recipe makes the most effective wealthy, creamy, and easily scrumptious milkshake which can be good to…
This simple avocado shake recipe makes the very best wealthy, creamy, and easily scrumptious milkshakes which are excellent to get…
Semiya payasam is a creamy, candy vermicelli pudding from the South Indian delicacies. This cardamom scented vermicelli payasam comes collectively…