Thekua are crisp crunchy cookies flavored with conventional Indian spices. These scrumptious fennel and cardamom scented deep fried cookies are a household favourite. If crunchy cookies are your choice, do that conventional Indian recipe right now!
As cooler climate approaches and the times develop into shorter, the custom of tea time turns into much more necessary to me. This thekua recipe is a pleasant deal with to serve with a heat cup of your favourite chai, as their crunchy exteriors make them an ideal dipping cookie.
For those who’re in want of one thing to look ahead within the darker afternoons, strive these pleasant Indian cookie.
Thekua is a conventional candy from Japanese Indian states of Bihar and Jharkand. It’s made throughout Chhath Puja, a pageant devoted to the solar god (surya devta).
These are complete wheat cookies that are deep fried. The candy aroma of fennel seeds and cardamom performs superbly with the caramel-molasses taste from jaggery.
This recipe provides you with crispy and crunchy exterior with a smooth inside, which to me is ideal for a cookie. Thekua have uneven cracked edges, making them each rustic in addition to crunchy.
They won’t appear to be a superbly even cookie! The signature of a superbly made thekua would be the uneven edges, so don’t worry if they’re a tad misshapen.
Find out how to Make Thekua
With my step-by-step photograph directions, you can also make thekua simply and completely each time.
Making thekua dough
- Whisk collectively dry substances – 1.25 cups complete wheat flour, 1 pinch salt, 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, 1 tablespoon contemporary grated coconut or desiccated coconut and ½ teaspoon cardamom powder in a mixing bowl.
2. Soften three tablespoons ghee (25 grams) till sizzling.
three. Add sizzling ghee to the dry substances.
four. Combine with a spoon.
5. Now combine the ghee with the flour till you get a breadcrumb-like consistency. Once you press the combination it ought to type a lump and never collapse.
6. Combine ½ cup chopped jaggery (85 grams) with ¼ cup water in a small saucepan.
7. Warmth till all of the jaggery melts.
eight. Add sizzling jaggery answer to the flour, working in small batches. Add just a few tablespoons of the jaggery liquid at a time.
9. Combine with a spoon first.
10. Carry on including in jaggery answer and mixing. Proceed till the entire jaggery answer has been added. Then combine and start to carry all the dough collectively and knead calmly. Don’t overwork the dough.
Make a agency or semi-soft dough. Cowl with a lid or kitchen cotton towel and relaxation for 15 minutes.
12. Make small balls from the dough. You should utilize a small “disher” or ice cream scoop to attain even portions of dough.
13. Flatten calmly along with your palms or with a rolling pin.
14. Make patterns on the pressed dough utilizing a fork or a toothpick or bamboo skewer.
15. You may make any patterns you want!
16. You can even press with a peda (Indian milk fudge) maker or a cookie press, or use cookie stamps. Hold the ready discs lined with a kitchen serviette to protect moisture till able to fry.
16. Warmth 1.5 cups oil in a kadai or wok. Verify a small piece of dough within the oil. Whether it is comes up steadily on prime, the oil is sizzling.
Then decrease the warmth to low or medium-low and gently place the thekua in sizzling oil. Don’t overcrowd the oil with the discs whereas frying.
You should utilize a heavy bottomed saucepan and a impartial flavored, excessive smoke level oil. Canola, sunflower, peanut, vegetable or grapeseed oil are some decisions.
17. When one aspect is golden, gently flip over and fry the second aspect. Be very cautious when turning and do it gently with a dinner spoon in order that they don’t break.
Flip over a few occasions and fry until golden and crisp. Jaggery provides a deeper golden coloration not like plain sugar.
18. Place on kitchen paper towels to empty. When cooled to room temperature, retailer in an hermetic container.
19. Serve thekua as a tea time snack or to have fun chaath puja. Take pleasure in!
Professional ideas + FAQs
Can this thekua recipe be scaled?
Completely! Simply improve the substances in proportional portions.
After thekua have cooled to room temperature, you’ll be able to retailer them in an hermetic container for as much as per week.
The thekua will retailer for as much as per week in an hermetic container after cooking. You can even make the dough for this thekua recipe the evening earlier than you fry them and refrigerate it in plastic wrap. Simply remember to enable the dough to return to room temperature earlier than shaping and frying, or it might break.
Jaggery is the Indian identify for an unrefined cane sugar made by cooking sugarcane (or typically date palm) juice in giant steel vats. It’s identified by different names relying in your fatherland – piloncillo or panela are names utilized in Latin America, rapadura and chancaca in South America, and nam oy in Laos are only a few.
The sugarcane juice is cooked down, leaving a tough deposit that’s usually bought in blocks or cones. Whereas yow will discover it bought in a floor type, I don’t suggest it.
Jaggery has a much more advanced style than brown sugar, which is normally comprised of granulated sugar and a little bit of molasses. It has earthy, caramel and smoke undertones, making it a really pleasant and distinctive ingredient for making sweets.
Jaggery is ubiquitous in Indian markets. Nonetheless, in case you are overseas it’s best to be capable of discover it at Worldwide or Indian specialty grocers, in addition to at Latin supermercados. You can even buy jaggery on-line, nonetheless the value is commonly inflated above what you should purchase it for in an everyday grocery setting.
In case you are unable to search out jaggery, you’ll be able to substitute darkish brown sugar, mild brown sugar or granulated white sugar and even molasses. Simply observe that the advanced taste of the jaggery will likely be lacking out of your closing product.
Whereas the 2 Indian sweets are fairly related in how they’re made and even of their style profile, thekua and khajuri are literally totally different sweets. The distinction between thekua and khajuri is that thekua is produced from complete wheat flour and jaggery, whereas khajuri is made with all-purpose flour and sugar.
What you’re searching for is a dough that has a bit little bit of elasticity. It ought to be someplace between a semi-soft and a agency dough.
– In case your dough appears crumbly and dry, add just a few tablespoons of water.
– In case your dough has develop into sticky or too smooth, add just a few tablespoons of flour.
When you make this thekua recipe just a few occasions, you’ll be capable of intuit the precise consistency a bit extra simply!
Thekua is a calmly sweetened cookie. In case you are searching for a sweeter style, you’ll be able to improve the quantity of jaggery used.
Thekua ought to be a beautiful shade of golden brown when cooked correctly. Earlier than you start frying, an excellent temperature to intention for is 180C – 190C (360F-375F), which you’ll simply measure with a deep fry/sweet thermometer.
For those who shouldn’t have a thermometer on the prepared, there are 3 ways to verify the temperature:
1. First, you’ll be able to drop a small little bit of your dough within the oil. If it rises to the floor steadily and begins to bubble on the prime, the oil is prepared.
2. Secondly, you’ll be able to drop a small piece (~1″) of bread into the shimmering oil. If it cooks to a golden brown in about 60 seconds, the temperature is true. Ought to the bread stay pale, the oil requires extra time to warmth. If the bread turns into too darkish throughout a 60 second window, the oil is simply too sizzling and may cool first.
three. Thirdly, you’ll be able to drop a kernel of popcorn in your oil as it’s heating. The popcorn will pop at about 180C/360F, so as soon as the kernel pops you have to be near an applicable temperature.
Don’t fry on a excessive warmth because the thekua will darken too shortly leaving the within dough raw. Fry at a low or medium-low warmth.
Flip solely when one aspect is golden and do it gently. Take care when frying these cookies, as they’re fairly delicate.
To show the thekua, you should utilize two chopsticks to softly flip it within the oil. You can even use a spider skimmer as a substitute.
For those who made this recipe, please remember to price it within the recipe card beneath. In order for you extra scrumptious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Signal Up for my e-mail e-newsletter.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook dinner Time 25 minutes
Whole Time 40 minutes
Food plan: Vegetarian
Issue Degree: Simple
Servings 20 thekua
Take the wheat flour, salt, fennel seeds, grated coconut and cardamom powder in a mixing bowl. Combine effectively and put aside.
In small bowl or pan, soften ghee till sizzling.
Add this sizzling ghee into the dry substances and blend with a spoon.
Then utilizing your fingers combine the ghee with the flour until you get a breadcrumb consistency. Once you press the combination it ought to type a lump.
In a saucepan take jaggery and water.
Warmth till all of the jaggery melts.
Add sizzling jaggery answer in elements to the flour and blend with a spoon first.
Carry on including in elements and mixing after which start to carry the dough collectively and knead calmly.
Make a agency or semi-soft dough.
Cowl the dough with a kitchen towel and relaxation for 15 minutes.
Later make small balls from the dough.
Calmly flatten the dough balls along with your palms or with a rolling pin.
Press the flattened discs with a peda maker, cookie design press or utilizing a toothpick, fork or bamboo skewers make design patterns.
Hold lined with a kitchen serviette or kitchen towel.
Warmth 1.5 cups oil in a kadai or wok.
Add a small piece of dough within the oil. Whether it is comes up steadily on prime, the oil is sizzling.
Hold the warmth to a medium-low and place the discs in sizzling oil.
When one aspect is golden, gently flip over and fry the second aspect. Be very cautious when turning and do it gently with a dinner spoon in order that they don’t break.
Fry until golden and crisp. Because of jaggery these have a deeper golden coloration.
Place on kitchen paper towels.
When cooled at room temperature retailer in an hermetic container.
Serve thekua as a tea time cookie.
- Scaling: Simply scale the recipe and make a small or giant batch.
- Make forward & storage: Make thekua and retailer it for per week in an hermetic container after frying. You possibly can additionally make the dough the evening earlier than you fry them and refrigerate it in plastic wrap. Simply remember to enable the dough to return to room temperature earlier than shaping and frying, or it might break.
- Dough texture: If dough appears crumbly and dry, add just a few tablespoons of water. If the dough has develop into sticky or too smooth, add just a few tablespoons of flour.
- Jaggery substitute: You possibly can use darkish brown sugar, mild brown sugar or granulated white sugar and even molasses.
Quantity Per Serving (1 thekua)
Energy 85 Energy from Fats 36
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 1g
Ldl cholesterol 5mg2%
Vitamin A 1IUzero%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 3µg1%
* % Day by day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food plan.
Like our movies? Then do observe and subscribe to us on youtube to get the newest Recipe Video updates.
All our content material & images are copyright protected. Please don’t copy. As a blogger, if you happen to you need to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your individual phrases and provides a clickable hyperlink again to the recipe on this url.